Peugeot 206 engine management light.

Hi all

Need a bit of advice if possible,

I have a x reg Peugeot 206 and every time i go on the motorway for longer than 30 mins the engine management light comes on. I have taken it to a mechanic who has plugged in his fault code reader and there is no codes stored, and just switches the light off. The car itself drives ok not lacking power or anything, just a bit annoying when it comes on.

If you have any suggetions what it could be or know a mechanic who could sort it please advise

Thankyou :D

You really need to read the code while the light is on, I imagine its clearing itself when you turn the ignition off/on.

I bought a code reader for my old 306 for £15 from ebay, hooked it up to a netbook and could read all the stats and codes from the car while I was driving(not me but the passenger).

the code stays on until the fault code reader clears the code, so the light is on all the time till i can get to a mechanic.

So the light stays on, the mechanic plugs the reader in and no code is present? If thats the case have a look in the handbook at what else can bring the light up, on some cars other things can bring on the EML(low fluids etc.).

Don't use a generic fault code reader, you need the Peugeot Planet diagnostic equipment to get a proper reading and diagnosis.

If the light is coming on I guarantee that there is a fault code being stored, or there is a faulty piece of equipment that can be checked by Planet.

I'll PM you the details of a Planet owner in Rotherham who should be able to help.

Unless you're buying Planet, don't waste your money. On the Pug forum we get plenty of people signing up to ask for advice when a cheap Ebay code reader has given them wrong information or not fixed the problem.

If you're serious about Pugs then spend about £70 on Planet, or become good friends with someone local who has it!

http://www.door2doorshop.com/wholesale/Lexia-3-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-For-Citroen-and-Peugeot-1022.html

Edited by alchresearch

I had the same problem with my y reg Peugeot but got fed up with taking it to garages all time so I left mine and eventually it stopped Coming on! The final straw was when the garage told me I'd need a new computer so I just though well if it breaks down then do be it and It never did!