Mud Crab Eccy Rd

Maybe they are just borrowing the concept of the two most successful restaurants on Ecclesall Road (not Eccy Road, please) and starting a burger restaurant. Uncle Sam's and Yankees have both been in business for at least 38 years, quite an achievement in the catering world.

Could well be.

With Yankee's, Uncle Sam's and Champs on that stretch, they'll need to pretend at least, that they are offering something different and better in some way. That's probably why they are speaking of "custom" burgers - which sounds like a right load on marketing nonsense to me. But maybe it will be sufficient, along with the rather nice name, to bring folks through the door. Maybe they'll be offering jambalya, crawfish pie and filigumbo too?

Could well be.

With Yankee's, Uncle Sam's and Champs on that stretch, they'll need to pretend at least, that they are offering something different and better in some way. That's probably why they are speaking of "custom" burgers - which sounds like a right load on marketing nonsense to me. But maybe it will be sufficient, along with the rather nice name, to bring folks through the door. Maybe they'll be offering jambalya, crawfish pie and filigumbo too?

Champs is closing soon to be changed to another Thornbridge/Richard Smith type dining establishment.

Or a really authentic Carribean restaurant with salt-fish and ackee, rice n peas, beef jerky - now that would be good.

Barry's Bar on London Road. They do authentic West Indian cuisine, and Red Stripe in bottles

It's not an upmarket place to say the least, but it's got what you want...

Barry's Bar on London Road. They do authentic West Indian cuisine, and Red Stripe in bottles

Even closer than that is/was Dunn's river on Hunters bar, if it's even still open? Demand for that was so poor I don't think I ever saw a single customer in the place...

On the subject of Mud Crab Diner itself, I went there last week when I noticed it had re-opened with this new 'concept'. Pretty unimpressed to be honest. The refurb seems to amounted to nothing more than hanging a few black & white pictures of motorbikes, otherwise it looks pretty much as it did when it was Fellicini's. Food was pretty rubbish too, the chicken sandwich I ordered was on a par with something you'd get in burger king or MacDonalds...

The refurb seems to amounted to nothing more than hanging a few black & white pictures of motorbikes, otherwise it looks pretty much as it did when it was Fellicini's. Food was pretty rubbish too, the chicken sandwich I ordered was on a par with something you'd get in burger king or MacDonalds...

I agree. I also had the chicken sandwich, tasted like it was straight from the freezer. I was also disappointed that the 'custom burger' idea consisted of a normal burger, sorry, handmade special recipe burger, and a choice of 3 bog standard toppings. Not my idea of a custom burger.

Thanks for the tip Charlou.

I remember reading something about this on here a while ago. Yes, the place looks a bit of a dump but it does sound very good. Reminds me of some of the pubs around Sothall in London which are absolute dives to look at but sell some of the very best Asian food.

Champs is closing soon to be changed to another Thornbridge/Richard Smith type dining establishment.

That so GodStar...hmmm!

I wonder if Fellicini's knew about this and decided to try and make itself the new Champs replacement?

Champs was already something to do with Thornbridge/Smiths I think? Maybe I'm wrong. I know they had Thornbridge beer.

And the website is crap. Are we meant to be so intrigued that we go to find out?

The only problem with that is there really aren't many "new types of restaurant" - it's all been done before (albeit less so in Sheffield than most cities).

Maybe Fellicini's feel that the market for mid-range Italian fare is too competitive in this city? There are no shortage of places claiming to be "Italian" and serving up similar fare to that which Fellicini's served up in similar surroundings. The fact they've not changed their flagship restaurant in Bakewell, in beautiful surroundings by the river, to a "Mud Crab" tells us a lot I think.

I suspect they are trying to capitalise on a younger, more urban crowd, in Sheffield and feel that the appeal of Burgers and Ribs and Nachos is greater than that of pasta - and maybe they are right too?

I'd visit if the fare was outstandingly good or if they did something genuinely different from what I could get elsewhere. A nice thick Argentinian flame-grilled steak, cut as thick as I want it, would be a nice addition to the Sheffield scene perhaps? Or a really authentic Carribean restaurant with salt-fish and ackee, rice n peas, beef jerky - now that would be good. Even a top class Greek restaurant with Ouzo and bouzouki music and a good stifado would be nice.

I hope this place does well and may be tempted to have a closer look - but initially the idea of a mystery "custom" burger doesn't sway me much.

Must resist :hihi:

Could well be.

Maybe you should open a restaurant, got some good ideas there

Must resist :hihi:

i couldnt and had one last night:hihi::hihi:

I went to Handmade Burger Co at centertainment the other day, probably the best burger I have had in Sheffield. Put Sam's and Yankee's 'football burgers' to shame.