Mud Crab Eccy Rd

have just tried to book for friday night but they dont take bookings! i hate that! makes me edgy. anyone been yet and if so was it busy about 7pm on a friday night?! i dont get the no bookings thing at all. if youre coming with a group especially you want to be sure you'll be able to eat!

have just tried to book for friday night but they dont take bookings! i hate that! makes me edgy. anyone been yet and if so was it busy about 7pm on a friday night?! i dont get the no bookings thing at all. if youre coming with a group especially you want to be sure you'll be able to eat!

Don't worry mate, you'll get a choice of atleast twenty!

How was it Ian?

They must be busy enough if they're refusing bookings. And if they can fill the restaurant without taking bookings, all the better because they'd avoid the hassle of saving tables for no-shows or late customers, both of which lose a restaurant potential income.

Bookings for large parties are even more hassle - issues with no-shows are even worse, plus larger parties often have a slower turnaround and often don't spend as much per head.

I ate there last week. The food was actually quite nice and definitely wouldn't hesitate in going back. The service was decent too and it took me ages to decide what to order. Definitely getting a schnitzel next time.

We held a charity event there on Monday night. I came all the way up from the Isle of Wight for it and it was worth it. The staff couldn't do enough for us, the food was out of this world (try the rice donuts!) and the atmosphere was lively. Thank you, Mudcrab.

Went there last Friday at about 7ish...got a table, no problem. Nicely busy and a good vibe to the place. Good food - nacho's with the chilli beef to start, burger was nice and juicy with a smallish bun - good wine (just had a bottle of the house white which was very decent, always a good sign!) and great service. Will definitely be returning.

But!

Do they serve crab??!

It's fellicini flag ship for a new type of restaurant. They sent me an email mail to announce it.

It's fellicini flag ship for a new type of restaurant. They sent me an email mail to announce it.

The only problem with that is there really aren't many "new types of restaurant" - it's all been done before (albeit less so in Sheffield than most cities).

Maybe Fellicini's feel that the market for mid-range Italian fare is too competitive in this city? There are no shortage of places claiming to be "Italian" and serving up similar fare to that which Fellicini's served up in similar surroundings. The fact they've not changed their flagship restaurant in Bakewell, in beautiful surroundings by the river, to a "Mud Crab" tells us a lot I think.

I suspect they are trying to capitalise on a younger, more urban crowd, in Sheffield and feel that the appeal of Burgers and Ribs and Nachos is greater than that of pasta - and maybe they are right too?

I'd visit if the fare was outstandingly good or if they did something genuinely different from what I could get elsewhere. A nice thick Argentinian flame-grilled steak, cut as thick as I want it, would be a nice addition to the Sheffield scene perhaps? Or a really authentic Carribean restaurant with salt-fish and ackee, rice n peas, beef jerky - now that would be good. Even a top class Greek restaurant with Ouzo and bouzouki music and a good stifado would be nice.

I hope this place does well and may be tempted to have a closer look - but initially the idea of a mystery "custom" burger doesn't sway me much.

I suspect they are trying to capitalise on a younger, more urban crowd, in Sheffield and feel that the appeal of Burgers and Ribs and Nachos is greater than that of pasta - and maybe they are right too?

Maybe they are just borrowing the concept of the two most successful restaurants on Ecclesall Road (not Eccy Road, please) and starting a burger restaurant. Uncle Sam's and Yankees have both been in business for at least 38 years, quite an achievement in the catering world.