Under what circumstances could a sports coach be sued?

Starting some courses in coaching alongside my course and you have to have insurances, but under what circumstances could a sports coach actually be sued?

If you were playing rugby and got injured due to a rugby tackle, or as a football coach (what I'm doing) if someone got injured due to a clumsy challenge, or of someone got broken ribs after attending a boxing club and getting punched in the ribs - could the coach then be sued if someone got injured?

Under what circumstances could someone coaching sport get sued?

Edited by billy_bob

I do NOT deal with personal injury litigation. The comments below are therefore general only.

Those involved in physical sport are deemed to consent to routine risks that might otherwise be actionable. The concept is called 'volenti' (= voluntary assumption of normal risks). For instance, a boxer cannot sue an opponent for hitting or for injuries sustained during a lawful bout; but a footballer could sue if another player deliberately hits.

A coach might be liable for third-party involvement and its effects. Insurance is therefore essential, just in case.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

So in effect I could not be sued?

Looking at starting football coaching clubs because I want to be rich and not a doley, cutting out any costs would be a great way to start.

So in effect, if someone was to be injured due to a sliding tackle I could not be sued, however, if the person who slid and injured his opponent was to get up and start stamping on his opponents head (ie, something clearly not an accident) then I could be sued if I did not attempt to intevene?

Starting some courses in coaching alongside my course and you have to have insurances, but under what circumstances could a sports coach actually be sued?

If you were playing rugby and got injured due to a rugby tackle, or as a football coach (what I'm doing) if someone got injured due to a clumsy challenge, or of someone got broken ribs after attending a boxing club and getting punched in the ribs - could the coach then be sued if someone got injured?

Generally speaking the coach might be liable if they encourage people to try something outside the normal remit of the sport, or beyond the ability of the person they're asking. They might also be liable if they failed to supervise adequately.

This is my understanding as a martial arts instructor (I have liability insurance). It's pretty rare though, within the organisation to which I belong I think there has been one court case in it's 30 year history.

Generally speaking the coach might be liable if they encourage people to try something outside the normal remit of the sport, or beyond the ability of the person they're asking. They might also be liable if they failed to supervise adequately.

This is my understanding as a martial arts instructor (I have liability insurance). It's pretty rare though, within the organisation to which I belong I think there has been one court case in it's 30 year history.

Thats my understanding, so in effect sports coaches are being ripped off by their insurers? because the chances of being sued are almost non-exsistant

I used to coach junior rugby and we were taught to not put kids into positions where they obviously couldn't cope (eg prop) and to teach them good technique (to avoid injury)..not sure it'd be the same with aduts..

have a look here..might give you an idea

http://www.insure4sport.co.uk/coach-points.aspx

Looking at starting football coaching clubs because I want to be rich and not a doley, cutting out any costs would be a great way to start.

So in effect, if someone was to be injured due to a sliding tackle I could not be sued, however, if the person who slid and injured his opponent was to get up and start stamping on his opponents head (ie, something clearly not an accident) then I could be sued if I did not attempt to intevene?

The other point to bear in mind is there's nothing to stop someone suing for 'spurious' reasons, which could involve you in litigation costs even before a claim is established, insurance may cover you for such costs (do check).

The other point to bear in mind is there's nothing to stop someone suing for 'spurious' reasons, which could involve you in litigation costs even before a claim is established, insurance may cover you for such costs (do check).

Yep,anyone can sue anyone for anything..whether it's successful or not is a different matter..

If you were teaching sliding tackles, to a novice or against a novice, or hadn't given adequate instruction about not doing hard sliding tackles against the new novice then you could be liable (to use your examples).

You wouldn't be liable if one of your students flipped out and started assaulting people, unless you allowed it to continue or encouraged it.

An injury that occurred during the normal course of play could result in you being sued, although you'd expect to be able to successfully defend it (but you'd want insurance to cover the cost of that defence).

Basically it'd be foolish to teach without some cover.