Handsworth -- What do you think about the area?

I lived in Handsworth (the area behind what was the Norfolk Arms pub) from 1995 up until moving last year. I still own the house there. Never had any problems. It's convenient for public transport to and from town as the 52 runs every few minutes, there is the ASDA plus other smaller 'local' shops. Schools are accessible easily enough. As Bladebeer says, Parsley Hay is a reasonable estate, as is 'The Gateway', the new Barrett estate behind where my property is.

They are also building the new Aldi on the main road and are planning a family pub (along the lines of Toby Carvery) on the same site.

A lot of those pics are at woodhouse and i know a few of these lads they're about 20 now, the photos are old. i was at the match on Saturday with one of them They aren't criminals.

Handsworth is a great place to live the worst area is the Richmond park area. Handsworth is one of the best areas in Sheffield.

They are not exactly photogenic and look like some of the eejits who went to City School,from off Woodthorpe.A bit like dock leaves-harmless but unattractive.

Any road congestion problem around ASDA, Sheffield Parkway roundabout during the morning peak hour? Any new project coming up in that area (like a new retail park, supermarket, or other infrastructure project)?

Traffic can be a nightmare on Handsworth main road. Traffic planners have indulged themselves to their fullest with traffic lights and crossings, along with some of the best queue causing stategies ever! (Take a look at the two sets of lights outside the asda, and watch the problems buses have getting into the right hand lane.) And theres more to come when the the Aldi and the pub open.

On the plus side, theres a continuous stream of 52's busses to get you into the lovely town centre.

Lived round that area in the early seventies and really loved it.

I live in Handsworth and have done so for the past 42 years.....the last 24 in our present home. It isn't areas which are good or bad but people and they can live anywhere.......On the plus side for Handsworth I AGREE that there is a good community spirit and the Handsworth Forum arranges days out, social evenings etc. for all in Handsworth who wish to attend. Handsworth is rather like a large village where so many people know each other and speak to each other. The Forum also arrange courses for learning ie. computers, digital photography, Family History. Something for everyone.......

On the DOWN side the traffic along the main road can be busy at rush hour and unfortunately the ASDA and the soon to be built ALDI only add to the problem.

I live on one of the estates previously mentioned and away from the main road all is quiet for most of the day.

My husband had never lived on this side of town before and he didn't even know where Handsworth was until we moved 24 years ago but still maintains that it was the best move we ever made!

a lot of people posting who have obviously never lived in Handsworth, particularly with the comments about pricing, an average nice semi in one of the nice bits is £130k+ and some detached houses are in the £250-280k range.

other than a recent spate of burglaries aimed at the nice areas, its a great place to live. its close to town and the m1 for transport if you drive or bus to town, its low for crime per 1000 population, there arent crack houses and cannabis dens, judging by the complete lack of news and police activity, you never hear of much happening here.

pubs are ok, can be a bit boisterous at weekends but quiet in week, 2 supermarkets close by.

its mainly families (who work!) and take pride in their houses, cars and family, its generally clean and tidy and looked after compared to lots of areas in sheffield.

do your own research, and have a look around. £190k will get you a nice 3 or 4 bed detached in a nice area (one nr us just sold for £200k).

its underated as an area and hardly gets a mention, which is good, its for the right reasons :-)

You could buy Handsworth for that!!

out of interest, seeing as you always pop up on any thread about handsworth, where do you live now and whats your experience in handsworth? if you lived on the triangle i can see what you are saying (no disrespect to the triangle!) but what a daft statement saying you can buy handsworth for 190k, have you seen the average house price there for a detached?

I have lived around the Handsworth area for the first 20 and the last 36 years of my life and love it. We moved away when we got married but after 10 years we had to come back it seems to have a community spirit lacking in other areas As Astonblade said traffic can be a nightmare round the Asda at rush hour but the buses seem to fare pretty well and there are plenty.

I live further down nearer to Woodhouse and it is pretty quiet. The estate I would avoid would be the Richmond Park one shame really as it used to be really nice in the good old days when the prefabs were there,

Ballifield school is a very good nursery infants and juniors and Handsworth Grange is a sports academy that is nearing completion of a massive extension it used to have bad reports but has turned round really well. At Handsworth Top there is A catholic infant / junior school St Josephs that has good reports and Handsworth Christian school but that is a fee paying school.

Edited by SILLY

:hihi:

The barmey army :hihi::hihi::hihi:I wouldn`t even contemplate buying a house at handsworth

because of a made up website with some kids? i've lived here 20+yrs and never seen a gang! lol

out of interest, seeing as you always pop up on any thread about handsworth, where do you live now and whats your experience in handsworth? if you lived on the triangle i can see what you are saying (no disrespect to the triangle!) but what a daft statement saying you can buy handsworth for 190k, have you seen the average house price there for a detached?

Not that it's any of your business, but I was born on the Triangle, lived on Richmond Park Road, for over 37 years, still have parents there, attended Athelstan/Brook, worked in Woodhouse Mill. The comment I made was my attempt at humour, and should be taken as such...chill.

Just because my Forum name is 'Lower Walkley' it does not exclude me from posts about other areas of Sheffield, this is the 'Sheffield Forum'.

I was born and brought up in Handsworth, l lived there from 1970 until 1999, my mum and dad still live there on the Flockton estate(the bottom end of Handsworth)growing up it was great I don't really have a bad word to say about the place, but when I visit my parents now a lot of the old neighbours have moved on and there are some not so nice neighbours moving in, so as a previous poster said it's not so much the area as the people that live in it.

I now live in Eckington and we have just had new neighbours move in and they seem very nice but I said to my Mrs if we were ever to move I would go and knock on any prospective neighbours doors and just have a chat with them as to me neighbours are really the most important thing if you don't get on with them it can make things very awkward at times.

And that's something you cant but good neighbors!

Not that it's any of your business, but I was born on the Triangle, lived on Richmond Park Road, for over 37 years, still have parents there, attended Athelstan/Brook, worked in Woodhouse Mill. The comment I made was my attempt at humour, and should be taken as such...chill.

Just because my Forum name is 'Lower Walkley' it does not exclude me from posts about other areas of Sheffield, this is the 'Sheffield Forum'.

no one was saying it does, the OP wanted some info about the actual area and what its like, which we answered. the triangle isnt exactly representative of the nicer areas of handsworth where £190k will get you a decent detached house with great neighbours thats all, as opposed to some areas where £190k will get you a couple or more houses as you tried to suggest even if jokily. :)

if they had asked about a council estate and a £100k budget then fair play!

I think what ChrisT70 was trying to say is that the OP wanted up to date info on the area. It didn't come across (you can buy handsworth for £190k) that you had any current knowledge of Handsworth. I did pick up the sarcasm tho!!! :)