Dorset or Hampshire for camping?

Hi all

Thinking of camping in either of the above in early Sept and wondering which one is the best for certain things. We usually love Cornwall but have been once (static) this year and even though I may regret it, maybe it's time to try something new.

We are wanting to go as close to the Coast as possible, and use EHU.

We require showers, toilets, and although I am not after a 'Butlins'/ static holiday camp type site, I can't do anything too quiet either.

We have young kids so as much to do as possible with them would be nice, but we prefer nice scenery and beaches to amusement arcades galore on the sea front. This is probably why we love Cornwall- the scenery and coast is gorgeous and there are plenty of things to do, but I was thinking somewhere a little closer and possibly with a better chance of nicer weather (ok maybe not too much difference but I hear it's drier on the South Coast). Hampshire seems to be 3.5-4hrs drive, Dorset about an hour longer, but still an hour or two less than the Cornwall drive that we would do.

So... which one?

Any recommendations? I have wrote a list of sites using UKCS site search but still wanting opinions on the general areas and coast etc.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Been to both in cottages but not camping. Dorset's Jurassic Coast is very Cornwall-like and towns like Lyme Regis, Swanage and Bridport have a classic Cornish feel. Beware though, a lot of the beaches are pebbles and shingle not sandy. The major tourist haven is Lulworth Cove, but it is packed in summer and the car parking fees are exhorbitant.

Hampshire has a lot of variety. There are picturesque little harbour villages around the vast Portsmouth and Chichester harbours which are very nice and quiet, with a very unique atmosphere. On the other side, the coastline next to the New Forest is very nice. Not so much beaches, but there are a couple of country parks on the water's edge of the Solent which are very nice.