Firth Derihon Stampings, Tinsley

I can remember John Tansley boss in the drawing office. Also Pete Whitfield. Then their was Edith Thompson who worked in the wages office. She then moved into the forge office. Really nice lady.

Hello Graham Pinder , if you started Derihons in 1971, John Tansley still must have been there. I know he has since died , a contact to me stated maybe 2008.

John's father was in fact the village bobby in Rowsley, Derrbyshire, so I understand.

Gary Marshman

I know this is a long shot and most of your colleagues were shop floor,but does anyone remember John Penistone,who was an office worker in the 60s.

Hi Slotter Taken me two years to look at this blog but would you believe only this week I have for some reason had Firth Derihon on my mind. I am still Football mad, happily married to Diane for over 40 years and my 3rd grand child due tomorrow. No boys in my family have to wait and see. Hope I can remember you some good people at Derihon. Regards John

Hello John Penistone,

Good to hear from you and also your re contact with my buddy Slotter.

Its interesting to hear from you and your working for Firth Derihon Stampings. I would be interested to know of your dates with the company and your roles , wondering if we had crossed paths in the early 60's ?

Gary Marshman

My step-father Ron (Ronald) Weldon worked at Firth Derihons for years until his retirement in the 90's, he was a die sinker and also the first aider. Sadly Ron passed away in 2003, would love to hear from anyone who knew him.

I was office based upstairs in 1990-1993. I remember the name. I remember Vic Fogerty and I think Edith? in the works office.

---------- Post added 13-05-2014 at 13:24 ----------

I can remember John Tansley boss in the drawing office. Also Pete Whitfield. Then their was Edith Thompson who worked in the wages office. She then moved into the forge office. Really nice lady.

I knew Edith, she was lovely, and Brian Dickinson and Dave Oxlade too. There was a Clive Mason in the actual works too I remember, had a yellow sports car

Edited by Cazzerb65

Jim et al

Les Parkes was my dad... i am one of the two small children you mentioned... although not so small anymore! My dad passed away when i was 11, so am keen to learn more about him. I wasnt aware that there was a plaque in his name...

I'd like to learn a little more about my dad. I certainly remember the christmas parties... although i recall they were at the Crucible?

Coincidentally, i now work for GE Oil & Gas and Firth Dehrion (or whatever the new name is) is one of my suppliers.

If anyone has any stories or knew my dad, id love to hear from you

Glen

Hi Gary. Just a few names for you. Frank Carter, George (spud) Roomes, Frank + Albert(tango) Williams. Arnold Michie, Tut's Rodgers, Brian Coldwell, Albert Hill, Brian Fagan, Dave Michie, BillySenior, Dave Mackay, Jack Handley, Alan Williams, Brian Eyre, Stan Michie, Charlie Wells, Tony Vickers, Vinny Shaw. All these guys are unfortunately no longer with us. These guys are all alive and kicking I think. Billy Bennett, Tony Foster, Cyril Mannion, Roy+ Steve Underhay, Barry Struggles, Roger Brooks, Brian Pearson, Phil Johnson, Glynn Taylor, Ken Brown, Eric Clarke, Hartley Hughes, Barry Hendry, Dave Oxlade, Terry Craine, Trevor Rowbottom, Albert Jones, Paul Mackay, Tony+ Terry Cawthorne. Mike Fairbrother, John Muldoon, Pete Marshall, It's been a long time but if I remember any one else I will post them.

Billy Bennett is my uncle&is still alive&living on City Road.

Hi all, I'm Norma Parkes, widow of Les Parkes who died in 1987 and mum to Neil and Glen. I can only remember a few names from this thread, but I always had a bad memory for names! I continued running after Les' death and am still a member of Steel City Striders Running Club. I retired from the University of Sheffield over 5 years ago and have taken the opportunity of having more time to study for a degree with the Open University. Both Neil and Glen have done well, Neil is Chief Technician in the Concrete and Structures Laboratory at Loughborough University and as Glen posted above he works for GE Gas and is based in the US. Both are married and Glen has given me two much loved grandchildren, although I don't get to see them very often except when I travel out to Colorado. Its difficult to realise that its nearly 28 years since Les died - where has all that time gone!.

Hi

I am Jim Halls daughter I will show him the new posts on here x

I'm the son of Martin Rowlands who used to work as a forger in the 70s with Kenny Watts - he says how are you all? Hopes to share some great memories of the forge.

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 22:52 ----------

Sorry not forger, furnaceman - he says him and Kenny were the best furnacemen at Derihon in the 70s: is he lying to me?

Did your dad work on a Drop Stamp or a hammer ? . Which machine did he work on ?

Mick Fairbrother Tuts gave me the nickname Gravo worked from 1970 to1982 started on the little stamps then on to 5 ton furnace man to Fred Gibson then stamper on the 8 ton and then the 18 ton.Remember most of names on here had some great times.

Edited by Gravo