Firth Derihon Stampings, Tinsley

I remember Fazel and Jumping jack. Great day's some great laughs both worked at Sheffield road. Faz on 18ton. Jumpo on 8ton with Tut's Rodgers.

Hello graz gp

You worked on the 18ton Drop Stamp , so you must have been there after 1960's say into 70's ? That was the original 10 ton ? , operated by Romeo Bevan. What years were you both there and who was the Forge manager ?

Gary Marshman

Hi every one I am Jim Halls daughter Julie Dad is not to good on the computer and as he says he is getting old says he will be 84 next year !!.I went on the trip to Alton towers on a double decker bus and one to American theme park also went to the lyceum with dad we took my 2 sons David and Mark .I remember Fazzel, dad would see him some times when we were in Morrisons Darnall . This is my partners fourm account I don't want one .

bye for now Julie Bates

I did not work on the stamp's I was a works observer. I worked there from 1971 until 1992. I was then made redundant great. Romeo was on one shift Tony foster the other. The forge manager was a guy called Clayton. The two shift foreman were Stan Michie and Charlie Wells. Once it changed from Derihons to Rixons it was never the same. My name is Graham Pinder. If you are reading this Jim, hi I hope you are ok. 84 wow. I am 65 now.

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 20:39 ----------

I have just remembered Joe clayton that was is full name.

---------- Post added 07-01-2014 at 10:00 ----------

When I first started John Bell was the works manager. I remember him getting an OBE. I think it was for services to the steel industry. He was a very nice guy. But sadly he died of an heart attack.

Hello Graham Pinder,

You worked as a Works Observer at Tinsley from 1971., so would you be familiar with any other ex employees of Dunlop St, or Tinsley works. ?

I remember Joe Clayton, Forge manager , what about Tommy Smart on the 6 ton ?

Can you remember what became of Alan Bell, that is John Bells son, who I talked to when I could on visits to Tinsley. ?

There are many names that have disappeared , surely someone must know of their whereabouts.

I believe for instance Fred Turner , a brilliant jig engineer, moved to Tinsley , but I think he died.

Gary Marshman

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 17:22 ----------

Seeing Steve Salt contributing to this thread wondered if he was any relation to George Salt from Despatch /Inspection departments , and talking to Jim Hall confirmed my suspicions.

I knew George Salt well and in fact he did invite me back home on 2 or 3 occasions for tea and a beer.

Dont know how old Steve would be in those days of '61 to '64

Gary Marshman

Hi Gary, I don't no what happened to John Bells son. As for Steve Salt being related to George Salt I think he was is uncle. Steve is younger than me. He worked on the hammers. when I was there. Tommy Smart worked on the 3ton stamp, Jack Jones worked on the other shift. I have heard of Fred Turner but I cannot remember him really. I could tell you a lot of names, but I don't no what happened to most of them.

Hello Graham Pinder,

The information is brilliant, for me its some 50 years ago , but had this desire to create a web site for the benefit of all those that worked at Derihons when it was British owned and you could come across real characters , their personalities staying with you for many years.

You mention Jack Jones who I liked a lot at Dunlop Street , and you say he transfered to Tinsley. It would be good to find the whereabouts or what happened during his life.

There are many who come to mind but cant mention all on this site.

Any names you have from your Tinsley days will be valued for upload to the Firth-Derihon web site.

Gary Marshman

Hi Gary. Just a few names for you. Frank Carter, George (spud) Roomes, Frank + Albert(tango) Williams. Arnold Michie, Tut's Rodgers, Brian Coldwell, Albert Hill, Brian Fagan, Dave Michie, BillySenior, Dave Mackay, Jack Handley, Alan Williams, Brian Eyre, Stan Michie, Charlie Wells, Tony Vickers, Vinny Shaw. All these guys are unfortunately no longer with us. These guys are all alive and kicking I think. Billy Bennett, Tony Foster, Cyril Mannion, Roy+ Steve Underhay, Barry Struggles, Roger Brooks, Brian Pearson, Phil Johnson, Glynn Taylor, Ken Brown, Eric Clarke, Hartley Hughes, Barry Hendry, Dave Oxlade, Terry Craine, Trevor Rowbottom, Albert Jones, Paul Mackay, Tony+ Terry Cawthorne. Mike Fairbrother, John Muldoon, Pete Marshall, It's been a long time but if I remember any one else I will post them.

Edited by graz gp
more names added

Hi Graham don't know if you know but old Derihon workers meet up once a month last Wednesday in the month at a pub near arena think it is what was Charlie Chalks they used to meet at the Carbrook .Dad some times goes but Brian Dickenson Paul Camsill Terry Craine and Dave Oxlade always go they get there about 8.30pm if you want to know any more let me know

Julie Bates Jim Halls Daughter

Hi Julie yes I did know about the meeting cheers.

Thanks Graham Pinder for all those names. I certainly remember Spud, alias Geo Rooms. He was on the Hammers at Dunlop St, in the early 1960's

The mind plays tricks on ya after 50 years , and the man who helped me settle into Derihons factory environment as a fresh from school novice was Alan Jones (not Jack Jones) . His buddy was Harry Gilbern, they worked on 1 or 2 ton drop stamps at Dunlop Street. Would be interesting to know the whereabouts of Alan and also now Jim Hall remembered the name of Les Sykes from the Die Shop at Dunlop Street, another character who helped me through those early years.

There are many fantastic characters , ie Jack Otter on inspection at Dunlop Street, alas passed on as many others have gone but should not be forgotten .

I will endeavour to upload as much information on the people involved in the factories to the Derihon web site

Gary Marshman

I know this is a long shot and most of your colleagues were shop floor,but does anyone remember John Penistone,who was an office worker in the 60s.