Sheffield Star non-stories megathread

Did anyone see the laughable story in tonights Star (taking up half a page) about the autisitic guy who has got himself in debt due to buying Lego sets to build to curb his anxiety.

He was in arrears on his rent to the tune of £129.00:shocked::shocked:

The "story" was accompanied by a picture of said autistic man with a few (quite poor) Lego models.

Journalism at its best!!!

Actually, laughing at people with autism who face eviction for small sums of money isn't really all that funny.

Actually, laughing at people with autism who face eviction for small sums of money isn't really all that funny.

Who's laughing at him, I said the trivial story being printed in a newspaper was laughable.......and it is.

He doesn't face eviction and I think people are laughing at the story rather than the man.

Not sure that it tops the 'refusal to collect blue bin due to crisp packet' 'story'.

in fact who exactly is it who decides what goes on the front page at that place? the 'daily planet' it ain't.

He should have paid his rent.

Autism did not stop him applying for a council house, or signing on for benefits, so shouldn't stop him from paying rent.

His disability is being used as an excuse because he's spent his benefits.

The fact that the Council have to defend this is stupid. What's next? I couldn't pay my rent because I had to buy loads of wine gums to deal with my Type II diabetes?

I rather liked their 'I'll laugh as you go down' headline on the back page, Tues April 12th. I thought it quite apt to see it captioned above a picture of a professional footballer.

I bet Wayne Rooney regrets saying the very same thing, especially to that octogenarian lady with the suspenders.

What a pathetic man to use his mental illness as an excuse for getting himself in debt!

What a pathetic man to use his mental illness as an excuse for getting himself in debt!

As opposed to the proportion of society that are fortunate enough not to have a mental illness and still descend into debt? Is he pathetic for being mentally ill or pathetic for being in debt? Which is it?

The OP said that the story was laughable, not the subject.

Do you work as a copy-editor on The Star by any chance?

must be another very very slow news day in sheffield