Marlon Brando the greatest screen actor ever,or not?

janie48

I was reading where Marlon Brando is considered to be the greatest by many notable actors, who say he influenced them.These include Martin Sheen,Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino and Johnny Depp.

Some of his early films I've seen on TV they include "The Wild one" A streetcar named desire and my favourite "On the Waterfront"

The later films i saw at the Cinema though,were not so good,"Last Tango in Paris" was terrible and quite shocking.As he got older he could never remember his lines.

He did seem to have a strong screen presence though,in my opinion.I just wondered if any one else thinks he was a good actor,or overrated perhaps?

Edited by janie48

As he got older he could never remember his lines.

When he was younger, he could never remember his lines. His trademark appearance wasn't due to any intentional acting technique, but because he was trying to read the lines scribbled on the inside of his shirt sleeve while filming. :hihi:

It seemed to work for him though. As a general rule, in any given profession, the person that all the other professionals think was the best around, was the best around.

I was reading where Marlon Brando is considered to be the greatest by many notable actors, who say he influenced them.These include Martin Sheen,Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino and Johnny Depp.

Some of his early films I've seen on TV they include "The Wild one" A streetcar named desire and my favourite "On the Waterfront"

The later films i saw at the Cinema though,were not so good,"Last Tango in Paris" was terrible and quite shocking.As he got older he could never remember his lines.

He did seem to have a strong screen presence though,in my opinion.I just wondered if any one else think he was a good actor,or overrated perhaps?

Way overrated. I find his acting average at best.

He has got a reputation for mumbling his lines so much that it's difficult to hear what he says. His appearance in Apocalypse Now is legendary for this, he was also the highest paid actor in the Superman movie even though he only appeared for about 10 minutes.

When he was younger, he could never remember his lines. His trademark appearance wasn't due to any intentional acting technique, but because he was trying to read the lines scribbled on the inside of his shirt sleeve while filming. :hihi:

It seemed to work for him though. As a general rule, in any given profession, the person that all the other professionals think was the best around, was the best around.

The faraway look in his eyes,and long hesitations must have been due to the difficulty remembering his lines then, and effort trying to recall where the scribbling was. :hihi:

Way overrated. I find his acting average at best.

Have you seen "Guys and Dolls" He even outshone Sinatra in that one.

He has got a reputation for mumbling his lines so much that it's difficult to hear what he says. His appearance in Apocalypse Now is legendary for this, he was also the highest paid actor in the Superman movie even though he only appeared for about 10 minutes.

I expect he is remembered more for those final films he made now,and the earlier ones have been forgotten.I think thats a shame.

The faraway look in his eyes,and long hesitations must have been due to the difficulty remembering his lines then, and effort trying to recall where the scribbling was. :hihi:

Have you seen "Guys and Dolls" He even outshone Sinatra in that one.

Sintatra was a better dancer than he was an actor so thats no yard stick im afraid.

I agree, he is average and that would be pushing it.

Oh come on.If you have seen any of those early films,even if you don't think he was a good actor,you've got to admit he had sex appeal.

I think he was what was called a 'Method Actor' - I read that in one film (One-eyed Jacks) not certain of the title, he had to be whipped by the actor Karl Malden and he actually insisted on this.

He was a brilliant actor, handsome and very charismatic

Edited by cressida