Cat Shot in Burngreave/Pitsmoor area

Reward offered: up to £2000 is offered for information leading to the conviction of the person/persons responsible for shooting Hobbes.

Thank you farley1, you have restored my faith in humanity.

My 14 yr old cat 'Hobbes' was shot on Saturday 5th May in the morning around 9am – 10:30am by an airgun/pellet gun.

He came home with what looked like a small puncture wound which I took to be a cat bite, I cleaned it up and sat on the couch stroking him for a while as he was looking very sorry for himself. Later that afternoon his breathing began to get ragged, I rushed him to my local vet, she gave him a pain killer and sent us directly to the emergency vets. They x-rayed the cat and found the pellet, not what anyone was expecting. It had passed through the back of the neck, through his lung, grazed the heart sac and shattered the sternum. There was nothing that could be done to save his life and we had to have him put to sleep.

If anyone knows anything about kids or adults palying with airguns that morning in the area of Pitsmoor road, Roe lane, Orphange Road please contact me.

He was my companion for 14 years.

Edited by ThePrincess
additional information added

I hate reading stories like this, both for the animal and it's owner (my sympathies) but also because it gives responsible shooters a bad name :(

I'm not a gun fan, but understand what you're saying....typically on the discussions thread they're a post about cat fouling in gardens, as per usual replies encouraging shooting pop up...maybe in jest but it still casually makes people think they can and in this case do shoot irresponsibly.

As a cat owner for most of my life, I'm really sorry to hear this and the distress both the owner and cat has and will be going through.

typically on the discussions thread they're a post about cat fouling in gardens

I'd always hoped these were idol threats!

In this instance, not an issue! At least I hope not an issue. He had a cat litter tray in the house and an area in the garden both of which he used on a daily basis. This should have cut down on further fouling in my neighbours gardens.

TBH I am hoping that this was an accident rather than a deliberate act of cruelty.

I'd always hoped these were idol threats!

In this instance, not an issue! At least I hope not an issue. He had a cat litter tray in the house and an area in the garden both of which he used on a daily basis. This should have cut down on further fouling in my neighbours gardens.

TBH I am hoping that this was an accident rather than a deliberate act of cruelty.

Really sorry about Hobbes :( Where abouts was this ? Did he used to wander far?

How horrendous so sorry that this happened to your lovely cat, bless him at least you were there to comfort him. I would also like to think no one would intentionally do this to a defenceless animal ! RIP Hobbes x