Why can't we have a proper airport in Sheffield?

Yes very good. Well spotted.

Now, look at the size of the planes that are able to use those landing strips.

Who the hell is going to be operating and travelling on them?

We had small planes flying small distances and it failed. Nobody except for a handful of high flyers a few times a month were travelling on them. You cant have budget flights and budget fares stopping off in Amsterdam every time. The fact is we dont have Alan Sugar or Madonna flying in and out on a regular basis.

Easyjet and Monarch dont have small aircraft and unfortunatley they would be the only hope of a profitable airport service Sheffield could have had a chance of getting. Its gone. Its over.

Unless you had something already built and operating the size of Leeds Bradford or maybe Doncaster it was just not going to work.

WE DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH PASSENGERS.

Sheffielders once a year jetting off to Benidorm or Ibiza are not enough to fund it. Take a look around. Leeds Bradford is only surviving by a thread because its got very much into bed with Jet2 and Ryanair offering them enormous discount and priviledges to be there. Doncaster clearly is nothing more than Thomsonfly yorkshire terminal. Look at all the operators who have come and since stopped their routes from there. Its clear that Donny Airport is bending over backwards (and forwards....) to keep Thomson there.

What possible business would we have these days. I can guarantee that having small hopper planes and private aircraft simply doesn't cut it.

Air travel for business is too expense, less popular and less necessary everywhere with the exception of maybe London which hopefully in a few years will just over 1 1/2 hours away by train - probably far less time to check in, hang around and fly up here.

The drive and ambition for an airport in every major city is gone. Even if we had the space to build a proper one the government would tax the hell out of everyone and everything. The local environmentalists would kick off about the pollution and environmental impact. The RSPCA would kick off about impact to local wildlife and the biggest boil on the backside would be the NIMBYs kicking off about their visual and noise effects to their own environment.

Its just no longer viable and the railway is what we need to be getting improved. Time to get rid of the crappy 70s bone shakers, get some decent rolling stock, electrified lines and faster journey times to the region.

I have done lots of research on this subject and i have come to the conclusion that Sheffield can easily have an airport!

There are many places which an airport can be built:

-East of Dronfield (Coal Aston)

-The Whole area surrounding Hardwick, east of the M1

-The area south of Thorpe Salvin

The fact that people say Sheffield can't have an airport because its too 'hilly' is a complete farce!

How do you think they build international airports in the Andes or the Himalayas? Landscaping!! Now i know we're looking at a project that is tiny compared to the areas of the world above but how on earth do you think they built Leeds-Bradford on the top of a hill? LANDSCAPING!!!!!! All it needs is some investment and we will have a perfectly good airport and maybe an airport that can compete with the best!

SHEFFIELD NEEDS AN AIRPORT!!!

I for one am quite happy that Sheffield has clean air, without the noise, pollution, and nuisance of low flying aircraft over the city.

What we, the citizens of Sheffield, need are high speed road and rail links to Doncaster Airport. That way we benefit from having an international airport without the inconvenience.

You Know It Makes Sense.

K.

I have done lots of research on this subject and i have come to the conclusion that Sheffield can easily have an airport!

If the land was vacant, there was no restriction on building access roads, there was an unlimited source of finance, then Sheffield could easily have an airport. It's unlikely it would be used as its competitors are too well established.

Most modern commercial airports in the UK owe much to the beneficial effects of WW2 when RAF airfields were created across the land, with much less need to consider these factors. Planning restrictions were not a serious issue - winning the war was. Come 1946 Sheffield didn't have a nearby redundant airfield. Finningley came available far too late for commercial success, especially when others have had a 60 year start.

Edited by esme
quote tags

The fact that people say Sheffield can't have an airport because its too 'hilly' is a complete farce!

How do you think they build international airports in the Andes or the Himalayas? Landscaping!! Now i know we're looking at a project that is tiny compared to the areas of the world above but how on earth do you think they built Leeds-Bradford on the top of a hill? LANDSCAPING!!!!!! All it needs is some investment and we will have a perfectly good airport and maybe an airport that can compete with the best!

SHEFFIELD NEEDS AN AIRPORT!!!

Sheffield still wouldn't have an Airport considering two of those areas area in Nottinghamshire and one in Derbyshire. All of them are farmland and a residential areas which would mean masses of opposition and nobody is going to use it as there is not enough commercial interest.

Sheffield DOES NOT need an airport.

Where is the demand?

Where is the funding going to come from?

Where are the passenger numbers?

Where are the main hubs going to be?

What is going to maintain its longevity?

Answer = sod all.

Smaller airports are already struggling so there is absolutely no need to even consider another one. MOST people fly a maximum of once or twice a year. MOST businesses only have international travel once or twice a year (if at all). Business travel is to business cities - that is not Malaga, ALacante, Ibiza or Teneriffe. So - do we see a influx of profitable Sheffield - New York, Sheffield - Singapore, Sheffield - London, Sheffield - Dublin, Sheffield - Edinburgh, Sheffield - Rome, Sheffield - Amsterdam routes springing up. Errm, NO.

Hardwick, Coal Aston and Thorpe Salvin dont need their own airports. They have Manchester and East Midlands and Doncaster.

Everyone knows that pretty much anything more than a simple Holiday Flight and your off to Heathrow anyway. That's how it has and always will be.

Absolutely no commercial viability whatsoever.

Go back and do more research. You clearly have not done anywhere near enough.

Thumbs up ECCOnoob

Sheffield people start crying as soon as they have to go to man. Brad or east midlands to fly.

Wipe your tears there is no need to cry, it is only a short ride to Manchester or Bradfield.

Hey first learn how to run a supertram properly before you think you can operate an airport.

Thumbs up ECCOnoob

Sheffield people start crying as soon as they have to go to man. Brad or east midlands to fly.

Wipe your tears there is no need to cry, it is only a short ride to Manchester or Bradfield.

Hey first learn how to run a supertram properly before you think you can operate an airport.

Not sure what you are trying to say here Dutch, what has supertram to do with airports and who runs supertram? I have flown from Bradfield but that was using an army helicopter.

Not sure what you are trying to say here Dutch, what has supertram to do with airports and who runs supertram? I have flown from Bradfield but that was using an army helicopter.

The question is why Sheffield cannot have a PROPER airport.

Sheffield does have a PROPER airport in Manchester and leeds. It is unbelievable someone wants a PROPER airport inside Sheffield when Sheffield cannot even maintain its own roads or build a tram that lasts more than a few years.

When PROPER airports are available nearby why do people cry and are sad because their journey is 60 minutes longer? What a joke, what kind of people desire an airport connecting Sheffield with NEW YORK, TORONTO, WASHINGTON, PARIS, BOMBAY, DUBAI, BERLIN.

And is this person going to use that airport? Or is it just an idiot wining for something for the sake of it?

In the meanwhile they are happy they have an airport. But these super proud people will go to Manchester because the flights are double the price from Sheffield.

Sheffield does not need a PROPER airport for the same reason it does not need an Eifel tower or CN tower.

---------- Post added 27-07-2013 at 12:57 ----------

By the way blackbeard there are many good flights from Bradfield.

I used them several times last year to fly to Germany for £27 return.

That is cheaper than taking a train most journeys in UK.

I used Manchester last month. 60 min journey by train, it takes me 40 minutes to take public transport from my house to cineworld!

What is the problem? If cineworld takes 40 minutes and Manchester airport 60 minutes.

I know Sheffield people live in a fantasy world. They think and talk like Sheffield is the centre of the universe.

Sheffield is so great and lovely because it will never become a horrible international city with jumbo jets circling over its skies all the time!

I know. Have to drive/bus it/donny is rubbish.

We are one of the BIGGEST City's in the UK. And we don't even have a airport.

Opines?

Sheffield isn't a city it is a big village. Airports are built by businessmen who want to make money. Would you risk your money basing a business here when so many are failing?

Would you waste your money building an airport for Sheffield or invest it in Heathrow or Manchester?

its mental that we dont have one

It's not mental at all. Sheffield is a large city population wise but business wise it is absolutely inconsequential. It is losing, or has lost, much of it's business base and it is not attracting new business.

Therefore the lifeblood of most airports (the business travellers) are not queueing up to visit Sheffield and so it doesn't need an airport.