Why can't we have a proper airport in Sheffield?

What would you call it then.

It was built, nobody used it and it was a financial black hole that had to eventually be bailed out by taxpayers. Its hardly a great success.

Maybe people realised that building it alongside the parkway in a built up area with a tiny runway only allowing hopper aircraft was slightly pointless

Stating that all international flights included a compulsory switchover in Amsterdam was hardly a great selling point.

The run way was too short. Companies, such as FlyBe who have an extensive national network, didn't exist then. I can easily see FlyBe or BMI Regional have money making routes out of Sheffield. I fly out of Manchester (because LOL at Doncaster) twice a week to Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the South West.

The plain fact of the matter is that if anyone had been determined, and if powers had had foresight, there would have been a proper Sheffield airport many years ago. No matter the topography, the geography, nothing is insurmountable. Which leaves one sticky point - finance.

Meanwhile, Sheffield is the laughing stock of Europe: whoever heard of a city and a conurbation this size without an airport?

Where would you have built it in Sheffield?

We did have one till it went tits up like a lot of white elephants in Sheffield...

We did have one till it went tits up like a lot of white elephants in Sheffield...

Makes you wonder why it happens doesn't it?

We could move the parkway a bit and have the landing run way there. Makes sense.

I was born 7 Lupton Drive Lowedges.

If i had grown up there looking at planes overhead,it could have inspired me to become a pilot.

I feel cheated.

Would i play for a team 798 miles away?

No..Would have to move a mile nearer (as i don't like odd even numbers):P

Bang on. LE would become a centre of high employment and all the rest.

Not really no m8, the government haven't had a clue for donkeys years never mind who's in power...

The fact Sheffield doesn't have a Airport is a scandal,how can a city the size of Sheffield not have one?

The fact Sheffield doesn't have a Airport is a scandal,how can a city the size of Sheffield not have one?

Read some of the well reasoned posts earlier in this thread, it's all there.

Read some of the well reasoned posts earlier in this thread, it's all there.

I have, hasn't changed my opinion.

But there isn't loads of spare land. Nowhere near enough to build an airport. Do you realise the amount of space you need and more to the point flat land. You dont have a runway on a slope!

Anything beyond halfway starts to cross border into Derbyshire. Firstly most of that land is countryside and you would get the environmentalists kicking off and secondly the further away from the city you go the less of a "Sheffield" airport it would become... just like say Robin Hood Airport already.

What on earth would you call it.

Sheffield/Chesterfield? Sheffield/Derbyshire? Sheffield Eckington International?

Or what about East Midlands Airport........hmmmm

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/7/0/4/1661407.jpg

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/4/8/4/1421484.jpg

Oh!

Where would you have built it in Sheffield?

I don't know. I'm neither a surveyor nor an architect. Neither am I connected with the aviation industry or airport planning. But I do know that there's a time-honoured tradition of moving objects out of way to enable construction to be realised.

I know it's on a smaller scale and was for a different use, but consider this: there were some very big slag heaps where the Parkway Industrial Estate now is; they were moved to enable the building of the estate and the widening of the parkway. This was almost 40 years ago. We've made much progress with machinery since then.

I refuse to believe the building of an airport for Sheffield is not possible. Putting aside the potential environmental concerns for a moment were left with two words I mentioned previously - determination and finance.

At the very least I think Sheffield should have a maintained landing strip of sufficient size and surface quality for a 10-12 seater jet. But what have we got? Yes, go on folks, laugh...

Edited by Capacitorkid