Old Sheffield pubs from the past gone for ever

There might be a lot of pubs gone but one thing I really miss is a pint of Wards best bitter, I've not found a beer that tastes the same in fact since Wards went I've gone right off beer and started drinking cider instead I've tried loads of different beers but non seem to be as good as pint of Wards was.

There might be a lot of pubs gone but one thing I really miss is a pint of Wards best bitter, I've not found a beer that tastes the same in fact since Wards went I've gone right off beer and started drinking cider instead I've tried loads of different beers but non seem to be as good as pint of Wards was.

Can't agree more, my mum & dad kept a Ward's pub in the fifties, so it was the pint I was brought up with, and if I say so myself we kept a good pint 'cause if you didn't keep it right it could taste terrible. Don't mind Barnsley bitter, and on hot days Farmers Blonde will do (that's the beer not his missus:hihi:.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Can't agree more, my mum & dad kept a Ward's pub in the fifties, so it was the pint I was brought up with, and if I say so myself we kept a good pint 'cause if you didn't keep it right it could taste terrible. Don't mind Barnsley bitter, and on hot days Farmers Blonde will do (that's the beer not his missus.)

I cold not agree more fellas used to ADORE Wards, nowt to touch it, sadly now no more, there are imitations but nothing like the real thing. Oh & yes it had to be kept right

Was that the Ward's pub and I believe one of the last to have waiter service?

Yep, Thats the one, never a bad pint.

Ive actually still got a tin of Wards best I've often wanted to open it and taste it, think it might have gone off a bit now probably just a keep sake.

Yep, Thats the one, never a bad pint.

One of the best pints of Wards used to be the barrel on London road and the Domino pub in the flats at the bottom of upper hanover st was a good pint as well.

One of the best pints of Wards used to be the barrel on London road and the Domino pub in the flats at the bottom of upper hanover st was a good pint as well.

Had many a good Saturday night in Barrel, only ever went in Domino couple of times, but cannot argue, used to be a great pint in Jack in a Box Silkstone Road S12.

Ive actually still got a tin of Wards best I've often wanted to open it and taste it, think it might have gone off a bit now probably just a keep sake.

I kept one too, but I drank it one Christmas about 6 years ago!

When it was kept well it was ok but if it wasn't it was horrible. Didn't one of the micro breweries revive it a bit back?

When it was kept well it was ok but if it wasn't it was horrible. Didn't one of the micro breweries revive it a bit back?

Yes, some brewery in Manchester, tasted worse than Boddingtons!

That brewery shutting down was a sham there was a staff take over at one time supposed to be happening, it was actually sold to swallow hotels for less money, so annoying and upsetting that it went like that, swallow paid less for it than the staff buy out offered something happened there that we never got to know about, a piece of Sheffield history gone for ever and the annoying thing is the brewery was actually making a good profit.

Yes it was a brewery called Jennings, I tried a pint in the commercial pub in Chapletown to say it was a disappointment was an understatement.