Old Sheffield pubs from the past gone for ever

Way things are going with pubs nowadays, we'll need several books to list them all!

I recall a pub near Bacon lane, which I think was called the Grey Horse? When I worked at Samuel Osbornes on Baco Lane we often went there on a saturday at dinnertime and they had a tea chest bass and shakers etc as I remember and we had a lively time in there after a mornings work.

Way things are going with pubs nowadays, we'll need several books to list them all!

I recall a pub near Bacon lane, which I think was called the Grey Horse? When I worked at Samuel Osbornes on Baco Lane we often went there on a saturday at dinnertime and they had a tea chest bass and shakers etc as I remember and we had a lively time in there after a mornings work.

Was it this one Grey Horse, Stoke Street ?

Or was it the Woodburne on Worthing Road.

Edited by me-and-pippo
added to

The unknown Stones pub on the right was the Industry. Very small place.

ill add that to my list :)

Was it this one Grey Horse, Stoke Street ?

Or was it the Woodburne on Worthing Road.

I am baffled now. I am sure Stoke St is where it was (looking at my street atlas) but looking at the picture Sheffield site, the Grey Horse on that street was demolished in 1939 and I am talking 1961 or thereabouts. Am sure it isn't the Woodburne as that was in the other direction as we came out of the works, and went for a pint before catching the bus home or wherever.

I am baffled now. I am sure Stoke St is where it was (looking at my street atlas) but looking at the picture Sheffield site, the Grey Horse on that street was demolished in 1939 and I am talking 1961 or thereabouts. Am sure it isn't the Woodburne as that was in the other direction as we came out of the works, and went for a pint before catching the bus home or wherever.

Could it have been the Baltic Inn on Effingham Road ?

Not very clear in the photograph, it is on the R/H side, with an illuminated sign in view.

Edited by me-and-pippo
link added

Could it have been the Baltic Inn on Effingham Road ?

Not very clear in the photograph, it is on the R/H side, with an illuminated sign in view.

That would be in the right direction I think, but why the name Grey Horse was stuck in my mind I cannot say especially as there was one on that street but demolished before i was born!!!!. Many thanks for your help, especially in guiding me into the picturesheffield site which is very interesting.

That would be in the right direction I think, but why the name Grey Horse was stuck in my mind I cannot say especially as there was one on that street but demolished before i was born!!!!. Many thanks for your help, especially in guiding me into the picturesheffield site which is very interesting.

Just taken a look on a 1954 Os map, and it shows a Grey Horse PH on Stoke Street.

the pub is also listed in the 1965 directory (25 Stoke Street).

:confused:

Edited by me-and-pippo
added to

Just taken a look on a 1954 Os map, and it shows a Grey Horse PH on Stoke Street.

the pub is also listed in the 1965 directory (25 Stoke Street).

:confused:

Top Man(and/or Lady):) As you went down Stoke St from Effingham it would be on the left hand side? Does this mean I can cancel my appointment with the psychiatrist? Thanks again.

Top Man(and/or Lady):) As you went down Stoke St from Effingham it would be on the left hand side? Does this mean I can cancel my appointment with the psychiatrist? Thanks again.

Can I take your booking slot :hihi:

The Grey Horse appears on a 1890 map in the same location as the 1950's map,

like you say on the L/H side of Stoke Street going towards Attercliffe Rd.

Sorry for the confusion.

remember the grey horse being open in late sixties sure i went in for a pint when i worked on woodbourne road

I imagine a few have now disappeard off this map.

I imagine a few have now disappeard off this map.

Very good. I hadn't seen that before and you're right, quite a few have gone.