Old Sheffield pubs from the past gone for ever

Used to go in the Elm Tree a lot in the late 60s early 70s, also the Manor Hotel, some right characters in them then but always a good drink.

Used to go in the Elm Tree a lot in the late 60s early 70s, also the Manor Hotel, some right characters in them then but always a good drink.

I agree with you very good drink, but even though you knew folk, you felt best to keep an eye on the door lol

The kukoo was that pubs nick name apparently kucoo is a slang word for a short measure I can remember going in there once and there was curtains at the back of the bar and the old lady went behind these curtains and came back with a jug off beer and poured it into glass strange little pub it had bare floor boards and sort of hung on the side of the bank overlooking the houses there was only one room and the bar was about 6 foot high the two lady's were sisters and the pub was a Tetleys pub.

A cuckoo (or kukoo) was not short measure, it was when the beer had no head or was flat.

The kukoo was that pubs nick name apparently kucoo is a slang word for a short measure I can remember going in there once and there was curtains at the back of the bar and the old lady went behind these curtains and came back with a jug off beer and poured it into glass strange little pub it had bare floor boards and sort of hung on the side of the bank overlooking the houses there was only one room and the bar was about 6 foot high the two lady's were sisters and the pub was a Tetleys pub.

The floor of the Cuckoo didn't have bare floorboards, it had a tiled floor done in something similar to lino.

There were no black curtains behind the bar, it was wood panelling.

The beer was hand pumped.

Your right in the fact that there was only one room - this room also had a piano which used to get played Friday and Saturday nights.

The two sisters were less than 5 foot in height, so if the bar was 6 feet high how could they reach the pumps to pull a pint and how would customers ( if not so tall ) be able to see what they wanted behind the bar ?

Do you mean the height of the room was 6 feet......if you mean this then its still wrong, it was a good 9 - 10 feet high.

One I've spotted on my travels,

Down at low bradfield, past the cricket ground, bear round to the right off towards the Dale dyke reservoir theres an old pub on the right. It has a sigh outside with lights but it has been painted black.

Down at low bradfield, past the cricket ground, bear round to the right off towards the Dale dyke reservoir theres an old pub on the right. It has a sigh outside with lights but it has been painted black.

That could be The Cross Inn,now a private house the pub i think closed in the 70's.

It is said that the old pub was built on the site where an ancient cross was found.

Part of the cross can be seen in high bradfield church.

Edited by kirakk

A cuckoo (or kukoo) was not short measure, it was when the beer had no head or was flat.

The floor of the Cuckoo didn't have bare floorboards, it had a tiled floor done in something similar to lino.

There were no black curtains behind the bar, it was wood panelling.

The beer was hand pumped.

Your right in the fact that there was only one room - this room also had a piano which used to get played Friday and Saturday nights.

The two sisters were less than 5 foot in height, so if the bar was 6 feet high how could they reach the pumps to pull a pint and how would customers ( if not so tall ) be able to see what they wanted behind the bar ?

Do you mean the height of the room was 6 feet......if you mean this then its still wrong, it was a good 9 - 10 feet high.

there's another thread here about the cuckoo.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-757857.html

I think you'll find that's the Haychatter. Been closed for a few years now after the landlady died. I think her son lives there now.

hiya when i wrote on another post as to the number of pubs within a quarter of an hours walk from where i lived in the fifties there were twenty two and i can name them now if need be ,don't know if any are still open maybe two or three.and the beer in these cost around six or seven p per pint, ( 1.2d -

1.6d).we used to have 4 pints a packet of cigs , games of doms,cards,darts. and all for less than 10 bob.per night.

poplar, bath, albert,((elliots) broomhall,

red deer,beehive,mail coach,hallamshire,raven,washington,trafalgar,rockingham,chandos, peacock ,two

steps,hodgson,milton,brunswick,gillies,derby,lincoln,scarborough,dog and gun.

Hi WILLYBITE

I think we lived in the same area I lived at the bottom end of Clarence st near Ecclesall rd could you also add the Oxford House,New Inn ,Earl Grey & Devonshire to your list perhaps a few more if you walked quicker?.

my local pub was the fox house on shirland lane i lived in candow street

Another one bit the dust the other day the Greyhound down Attercliffe has got the chipboard curtains up.