Old Sheffield pubs from the past gone for ever

20 hours ago, St Petre said:

Yes the Lion hotel was on the Nursery Street corner so counted as a Wicker area pub, also on Nursery Street were the Hare and Hounds and Manchester Hotel (now New Harlequin) and just off the Wicker were The (old) Harlequin (Stanley Street/Johnson Street) and there was of course the Stanley Street WMC.

Wasn`t the Grosvenor Hotel next to the Lion on the corner of Nursery street?

33 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

I think this shows they were different?s20595.jpg (800×519) (picturesheffield.com) I am certain that we went into their cellar during the air raids in the war.

The map seems to show they had the same footprint. Could the Grosvenor have been on the floors above the Lion?

post-124-1220446075.jpg

I will get in touch with my older sister to see if she can throw some light on this.

40 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

I will get in touch with my older sister to see if she can throw some light on this.

One building four addresses 2 Lion--6-8 Sheffield refreshment Houses Ltd.--  10 Grosvenor Temperance Hotel.1925.

2a. as I remember Mortimers camping.

What about the High way  on fox st 

49 minutes ago, retep said:

One building four addresses 2 Lion--6-8 Sheffield refreshment Houses Ltd.--  10 Grosvenor Temperance Hotel.1925.

And there was a jeweller's  shop between Mortimer's and the Lion, perhaps Leslie Cass ?

10 hours ago, retep said:

The refreshment houses was on the corner of Joiner St. and Nursery St. I went there for meals for our family.

9 hours ago, St Petre said:

And there was a jeweller's  shop between Mortimer's and the Lion, perhaps Leslie Cass ?

Leslie Cass is right and the lady who worked in there lived as caretaker for Aizlewoods flour mill.

14 hours ago, retep said:

The refreshment houses was on the corner of Joiner St. and Nursery St. I went there for meals for our family. Just been to my sisters and she reminded me that we went to my nephews  wedding reception in the Grosvenor. She said it had accommodation upstairs and the reception and bar downstairs.

On 11/11/2020 at 18:25, Padders said:

The forty foot is still open Jane, or it was before the pandemic.

Went past the forty foot today.  It doesn't look closed down, just closed.  There were Christmas decorations in the window.

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 00:04, Jim Hardie said:

The missing name is the Bull and Oak. Where was the White Lion? I only remember the New White Lion. There was the Lion just around the corner on Nursery St where the Riverside Court is now but that was before my boozing days.

Yes. That's it, The bull and oak.

With regards to the the White Lion/New White Lion and the locations. I am not certain which was which but one of them was on the corner of the Wicker and Nursery Street as you say and the other one became Bennetts  Fishing tackle shop. The frontage of the old shop is still there to plainly see. You had to access the shop via Stanley Street. The one on the corner had a snooker table in there. I played there a couple of times. If I remember rightly the floor sloped and as the table obviously had to be level it was quite confusing when you had to take a shot from the deep end as it seemed.