Old Sheffield pubs from the past gone for ever

23 hours ago, beezerboy said:

My wife was born and lived near Sutcliffes shop Ruthin St less than 100 yds away. Nobody ever said where the name came from .

A forum contributor ( Lazarus ) research this and found no evidence that this was so. However he say a pub called Why Not on Clun St  (near Gower St )was named after 1894 National Grand winner. Maybe the story got transferred.

Sporting News
Date: Friday,  Oct. 26, 1883
Publication: Sheffield Daily Telegraph (Sheffield, England)
Rossmore Welter Plate -100 guineas
Mr T stevens-- Who Can Tell.

4 hours ago, Padders said:

The forty foot is still open Jane, or it was before the pandemic.

That's what I thought Pads.  Just wondering if it has gone forever.

5 hours ago, retep said:

Sporting News
Date: Friday,  Oct. 26, 1883
Publication: Sheffield Daily Telegraph (Sheffield, England)
Rossmore Welter Plate -100 guineas
Mr T stevens-- Who Can Tell.

Well done, so now we know.

On 11/11/2020 at 23:38, glitterballs said:

Glad I saw this thread, I was trying to think of the pub on Alexandra rd, the Myrtle, when I stopped at my grans who lived opposite it was entertaining on a Friday and Saturday at closing 🤣

I used to live on Alexandra Road until I married in 1970, the Myrtle was my family's local.

Eric and Ellen Staniforth were landlord and landlady with their children, 3 girls if I remember correctly.

As a child I spent many happy hours in the back room with their children whilst the adults were in the pub.

We attended the Coronation celebrations there in 1953 where there was a big party for the kids in the upstairs room.

The family adults  usually spent New Years Eve there whilst us kids were looked after at home then the adults would arrive in time for the letting in of the New Year.

They came home carrying crates of beer between them, pop and crisps for the kids and we all had heaps of sandwiches, homemade pickles etc. whilst the party including neighbours continued until the early hours.

My uncle arranged a charity "do" there in the upstairs rooms where there was a stage, lots of musical acts and a sort of pantomime, this was in the 50's. 

There was never any trouble, bad language or ill feeling in all the years I lived there from late 40's to 1970.

Regards,

Duffems

What was the pubs name that  stood next to Washford bridge   down Attercliffe ; anybody  know  ?

3 minutes ago, martin441 said:

What was the pubs name that  stood next to Washford bridge   down Attercliffe ; anybody  know  ?

Washford Arms.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Washford Arms.

The building is still there. Reduced to two storeys, and suffering the indignity of fake stone cladding. 

When I lived there the chippy on the bottom of Myrtle Road was called 77 Sunset!

Regards,

Duffems

What about the fox on pyebank road in front of the loco W M C 

Reading some of these posts about the pubs long gone made me think back to when I was in my teens in the 1960's. I used to frequent the wicker quite often in those days and I remember that in the Wicker alone there were 7 pubs and one fast food shop (Tony's chip shop I think) These days there is one pub and countless take away shops.

The pubs were, The station, The Viaduct, Brown cow, White Lion , The new White Lion, The Big Gun and another which name escapes me, it was situated next to the Brown Cow roughly where Derek Dooley Way cuts through the Wicker. Then there were a couple of pubs on Nursery Street and a couple on Lady's Bridge.

On a nice warm summers evening people would stroll from pub to pub and if you had a half pint in each pub you would be well on your way to being drunk by closing time.

Happy days as they say.

2 hours ago, lakerman said:

Reading some of these posts about the pubs long gone made me think back to when I was in my teens in the 1960's. I used to frequent the wicker quite often in those days and I remember that in the Wicker alone there were 7 pubs and one fast food shop (Tony's chip shop I think) These days there is one pub and countless take away shops.

The pubs were, The station, The Viaduct, Brown cow, White Lion , The new White Lion, The Big Gun and another which name escapes me, it was situated next to the Brown Cow roughly where Derek Dooley Way cuts through the Wicker. Then there were a couple of pubs on Nursery Street and a couple on Lady's Bridge.

On a nice warm summers evening people would stroll from pub to pub and if you had a half pint in each pub you would be well on your way to being drunk by closing time.

Happy days as they say.

The missing name is the Bull and Oak. Where was the White Lion? I only remember the New White Lion. There was the Lion just around the corner on Nursery St where the Riverside Court is now but that was before my boozing days.

12 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

The missing name is the Bull and Oak. Where was the White Lion? I only remember the New White Lion. There was the Lion just around the corner on Nursery St where the Riverside Court is now but that was before my boozing days.

Yes the Lion hotel was on the Nursery Street corner so counted as a Wicker area pub, also on Nursery Street were the Hare and Hounds and Manchester Hotel (now New Harlequin) and just off the Wicker were The (old) Harlequin (Stanley Street/Johnson Street) and there was of course the Stanley Street WMC.