Old Sheffield pubs from the past gone for ever

Do remember the landlady of the Salutation, closing the doors after time and saying help yourself to more beer and to leave the money owed in a tatty cardboard box ...

1 hour ago, martin441 said:

there was also the Salution ; on the corner of Broughton lane .

Not quite Broughton Lane, it was on the corner of Coleridge Road. 

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/yorkshire/sheffield_s9_salutation.html

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=4008&view=findpost&p=23230

Interesting to view that photo, seem to remember so many of those buildings around the Salutation having already been demolished when we drank there.

There was a few pubs around grimesthorpe from the Alexander at the top of Newhall Road Carlisle Street Carlisle Street East Upwell Street round to the reform Chapel 

I think that the shop next to salutation was my uncle Fred's  paper shop.It was certainly in that block.

18 hours ago, Bygum said:

There was a few pubs around grimesthorpe from the Alexander at the top of Newhall Road Carlisle Street Carlisle Street East Upwell Street round to the reform Chapel 

Yes, there were four pubs on Carilsle Road, two on Upwell Street, two on Upwell Lane, one on Adsetts Street and one on Botham Street plus Grimesthorpe WMC.

Does any one remember The  Bricklayers Arms Hereford  St  bottom of rhe Moor.

On 06/11/2020 at 02:35, gaz 786 said:

Remember it well 👍did you know it was named after a racehorse? Not a lot of people know that 😄

My wife was born and lived near Sutcliffes shop Ruthin St less than 100 yds away. Nobody ever said where the name came from .

A forum contributor ( Lazarus ) research this and found no evidence that this was so. However he say a pub called Why Not on Clun St  (near Gower St )was named after 1894 National Grand winner. Maybe the story got transferred.

Edited by beezerboy

The  Forty  Foot bottom Donavon   Rd,  White Horse Wadsley Bridge.

16 hours ago, beezerboy said:

My wife was born and lived near Sutcliffes shop Ruthin St less than 100 yds away. Nobody ever said where the name came from .

A forum contributor ( Lazarus ) research this and found no evidence that this was so. However he say a pub called Why Not on Clun St  (near Gower St )was named after 1894 National Grand winner. Maybe the story got transferred.

Yes, I've heard the 'Why Not' pub story before, the pub was actually on the corner of Earsham Street and Clun Street and I think it was demolished around the 1920s.

7 hours ago, bazza63 said:

The  Forty  Foot bottom Donavon   Rd,  White Horse Wadsley Bridge.

Do you know when the Forty Foot closed?

17 minutes ago, jane2008 said:

Do you know when the Forty Foot closed?

The forty foot is still open Jane, or it was before the pandemic.