Old Sheffield pubs from the past gone for ever

I so agree Cuttsie he was the best even us yunguns Such a lovely man Our Nancy was a bit scary though in the nicest possible way. Great respects to them both x

I so agree Cuttsie he was the best even us yunguns Such a lovely man Our Nancy was a bit scary though in the nicest possible way. Great respects to them both x

Jack had two miniature coffins on the bar one with a owl statue in it and one with a blade.

If the owls won then he would stand the Owl up on its end and the same if united won ,it was simple entertainment and laughs but Jack was a star.

Can anyone remember what the pub next to the Bowling green pub at the bottom of Grimesthorpe road was called, any pictures of it knocking about.

Think this pub may have been the " Sheffield Arms " .

---------- Post added 23-05-2014 at 19:08 ----------

I'm going back further, see if you can put the new name to some of these pubs. We used to meet up in the Red Lion, behind the City Hall, across to the Wharncliffe up to the Saddle, along to the West Street Hotel into the Hallamshire, across to the Mail Coach over to the Bee Hive Down to the Admiral Nelson along to The Prince of Wales into the Wheatsheaf and then possibly the Albert, that's if the Teddy Boys were not throwing the tables and chairs out of the windows, I was a Mod. We would go down to the Mulberry Tavern on Charles Street and across to the Roebuck Tavern. If we could stand up after that lot we would go down to the Lacarno for a dance or be thrown out by the Staff for being D & D. Good old days, bring em back!!!:D:D:D

Mulberry Tavern was on Arundel gate , in fact it has just re-openend . The pub opposite the Roebuck was the Yorkshire Grey , sadly now gone , but thankfully the Roebuck was repreived.

---------- Post added 23-05-2014 at 19:11 ----------

Think this pub may have been the " Sheffield Arms " .

---------- Post added 23-05-2014 at 19:08 ----------

Mulberry Tavern was on Arundel gate , in fact it has just re-openend . The pub opposite the Roebuck was the Yorkshire Grey , sadly now gone , but thankfully the Roebuck was repreived.

P.S. With the amount of pubs you visited I`m suprised you remember any of them , can`t fault you , :hihi:.

---------- Post added 23-05-2014 at 19:26 ----------

Where I grew up and started my drinking career there are no pubs left , it is bereft of social activity , Sheffield lane top / Hatfield House lane , Pheasant Inn , Sicey Hotel , Horse Shoe , Shiregreen Hotel , Huntsman Hotel ,all gone .

I believe the Wharncliffe Hotel in Firth Park and the Penguin in lower Shiregreen are hanging on , but for how long ?

As I was sat in traffic going away from town towards Woodseats,  just outside the Grahams plumbers merchants on Chesterfield Road, I'm sure I saw a sign at the side of the door which looked like a  Whitbread plaque. Could anyone shed any light on the history of this building?

I don't know if The Merry Heart, The Cromwell View or The Vine, just to mention Three of Pitsmoor's finest watering holes,  have been mentioned,  but they have been long gone. Demolished in the early 60's.  Such a cruel World. 😪

The pub on Upwell Lane near the Bowling Green pub was the Beehive Inn, I think it was a John Smith's house.

On 03/11/2020 at 12:35, bungleboy69 said:

As I was sat in traffic going away from town towards Woodseats,  just outside the Grahams plumbers merchants on Chesterfield Road, I'm sure I saw a sign at the side of the door which looked like a  Whitbread plaque. Could anyone shed any light on the history of this building?

Hi bungleboy, there is an 'OLD SIGN' for 'MAGNET ALES' on the corner of the 'Antique & Upholstery shop'  above their door.

Number 587 C/field Rd, corner of  Denton Street. 

Would that be the sign you saw. 

Edited by Heartshome

6 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Hi bungleboy, there is an 'OLD SIGN' for 'MAGNET ALES' on the corner of the 'Antique & Upholstery shop'  above their door.

Number 587 C/field Rd, corner of  Denton Street. 

Would that be the sign you saw. 

No, opposite side of the road, 570 Chesterfield Road. Next time I drive past, I'll pull up and have a better look, the eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. 

11 hours ago, bungleboy69 said:

No, opposite side of the road, 570 Chesterfield Road. Next time I drive past, I'll pull up and have a better look, the eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. 

Hia, not been able to find a listing for a 'Pub' or anything here. As far back as 1912 it was N. Blaskey & Co. Cabinet Makers.

What about the who can tell on Botham Street 

For me, the locals (not town pubs) are...

The Magnet (Southey Green)

Five Arches (5 Arches?) Herries Road

Parsons Cross Hotel. Not a regular but they had a special sticky carpet that helped when beer goggles kicked in! 😄

there was also the Salution ; on the corner of Broughton lane .