Old Sheffield pubs from the past gone for ever

Hi All

anyone got any info about the crown & anchor on corporation street, my gr , gr , gr , grandad ran it according to the 1871 census his name was Thomas holmes and his wife caroline

Please ignore my above post,

just seen the 1871 census image on another site.

Came home in a taxi last Friday from hospital, and we came through bottom of cliffe, and then up Worksop Road to Darnall. Got sight of the Greyhound, Britannia, Farrahs (all shut), Old Cocked Hat (open again), Ball (shut years), Sportsman, Albert (still open but not at that time). The Industry, Meadow, Duke of York, Halfway House (flattened), Rose & Crown all gone, but not forgotten.

The Terminus is still open I think (Old Bradley Well), Wellington, Darnall and that area was a top night now sadly no more, what a waste.

Came home in a taxi last Friday from hospital, and we came through bottom of cliffe, and then up Worksop Road to Darnall. Got sight of the Greyhound, Britannia, Farrahs (all shut), Old Cocked Hat (open again), Ball (shut years), Sportsman, Albert (still open but not at that time). The Industry, Meadow, Duke of York, Halfway House (flattened), Rose & Crown all gone, but not forgotten.

The Terminus is still open I think (Old Bradley Well), Wellington, Darnall and that area was a top night now sadly no more, what a waste.

Had some good nights in the Halfway in the 80's.

Apparently Sheffield used to be the brewing capital of the country at one time I would like to know how many brewery's there has been in Sheffield in the past.

hiya in 1895 there were 30 brewery's in sheffield and a thousand pubs and hotels

This website about the lost pubs of Sheffield might be of interest.

Interesting but I don't understand how this list was compiled. The earliest closure is dated 1912 yet I could name a few demolished pubs that I frequented in the sixties that aren't listed.

Two more pubs which my relatives had ( Demolished in 60s and 70s and NOT included in this list )............. The Junction Inn, Brightside Lane.

and The Douglas Inn, Parkwood Springs.

The Star of Brunswick on the corner of cemetery rd and cliff st. I got done for drinking under age in there. A pint of tetleys was 1s,10d. They had a great snooker table ,and the local chippy was just around the corner.Great old fashioned fish cakes, theClub Garden Inn was on the other corner of cliff st at Lansdowne Rd.

hie Shannon mills the station has been closed a bit now they were going to make flats there bot nothing came of it .only 2 pubs now the don aka the coach and horses and the carlton on Attercliffe common Attercliffe libs but I think that's ready to go I used to frequent tha station many a night with flo and lily brown scotch jock the ellisses .and harry strut upstairs they had a r.a.o.b. lodgehope this helps you .

The Allbert (Hotel)

It was opposite the city hall.

The Sheaf

Was very small pub just off furnival gate. The Hilton and some other buildings have completely transformed that area. Little streets small works all gone..

The Allbert (Hotel)

It was opposite the city hall.

The Sheaf

Was very small pub just off furnival gate. The Hilton and some other buildings have completely transformed that area. Little streets small works all gone..

Along with the Nelson the best 2 juke boxes in Sheffield.

Bridge pub down Heely bottom is some printing company's headquarters now by the looks of it..that was good pub in the day spent many happy nights in there in the past quaffing the the Wards best I even got done for drinking under age in there many moons ago,there used to be a jukebox in the back room that if you gave it a kick it would play a freebie,trouble is it was a bit random what it would play and it would play some boring old record till someone gave it another good kicking don't think there would have been much money in it at the end of the week when the landlord came to empty it ..:hihi:

Any one remember the Royal ,Walkley Street and any of the people who went there it was a great local pub

Any one remember the Royal ,Walkley Street and any of the people who went there it was a great local pub

It was my local when Jack and Nancy Eyres kept it.

A gentleman of the highest order was Jack moved heaven and Earth to get me a cup final ticket in 1966.

Customers I remember .

Robin Crapper [greyhound trainer]

Ken Sawyer [builder]

Barry Huchinson [painter]

Jack Damms, [plasterer]

Charley Wild [lorry driver ,Bradburys]

Alan Buxton [singer]

Jim Rose,[ Bricklayer]

Gilbert Hartley, [site foreman]

Joyce Straw,

Ronnie Wilson, [joiner]