Old Sheffield pubs from the past gone for ever

I know we've lost lots of great pubs over the years, but what always does my head in is why they give them stupid bloody names "Slug & lettuce, and Ferret & Trouser Leg" to name but 2.

The original Saddle on West Street was great, as was Red Lion just round from City Hall.

I know we've lost lots of great pubs over the years, but what always does my head in is why they give them stupid bloody names "Slug & lettuce, and Ferret & Trouser Leg" to name but 2.

The original Saddle on West Street was great, as was Red Lion just round from City Hall.

That great old pub on West St, the Mailcoach is now called The Wick At Both Ends whats that all about. :huh:

I think the pub that had most names was the old no 12 or the Nottingham house or the Mulberry tavern just to name a few its boarded up now that was a real proper pub in the old days.

This is now the Gatsby but originally the Foresters.

Crikey, I can't keep up with all the name changes. I used to use the Foresters when 'Bomber Bains' was the landlord. After he left it didn't seem the same.

Crikey, I can't keep up with all the name changes. I used to use the Foresters when 'Bomber Bains' was the landlord. After he left it didn't seem the same.

I used it as my Night Club when the Bains where in charge.

The Moseleys Arms at West Bar was brilliant in the 70's. A real spit and sawdust pub with a fantastic Jukebox. It had a small room on the corner with one door from the street and access to the rest of the pub was on the main road. On entering there was a passageway with a room to the right that rockers used and a room in the back where the older customers used and the outside toilets through the back. Ely the landlord was a smashing old bloke but his Barmaid Cynthia liked to try and lay down the law!!

Spent many hours in here and upstairs in the Claymore drinking draugft Newcie Brown.

I think the pub that had most names was the old no 12 or the Nottingham house or the Mulberry tavern just to name a few its boarded up now that was a real proper pub in the old days.

My uncle Fred Norton was landlord of the Old No.12 and the Rotherham House in the 1950's.

The original Old.No.12 on Haymarket used to cater for the solicitors in one bar and the market traders in the other and never the twain........

My uncle Fred Norton was landlord of the Old No.12 and the Rotherham House in the 1950's.

The original Old.No.12 on Haymarket used to cater for the solicitors in one bar and the market traders in the other and never the twain........

I think we have done a bit of talking about this pub on this tread earlier it certainly was a good pub in its day going through many changes in the past it had a load of history and not the same name pub as the one that used to be on the haymaket called the sun tavern first.

I think we have done a bit of talking about this pub on this tread earlier it certainly was a good pub in its day going through many changes in the past it had a load of history and not the same name pub as the one that used to be on the haymaket called the sun tavern first.

It originally was the Sun Inn on the Haymarket then it became the Old No.12, it later moved into Exchange Street which became the Berni Inn (latterly the Market Tavern).

The first time I went out boozing was on a stag night with the lads from the Yorks Water when I was 16 in 1975 and we met in the Old No12. We went in the Black Swan ie Mucky Duck and into the Dove and Rainbow. I had 5 pints and had to be put on a bus home at about 9 o'clock.

It originally was the Sun Inn on the Haymarket then it became the Old No.12, it later moved into Exchange Street which became the Berni Inn (latterly the Market Tavern).

No it did not move the sun inn on the Haymaket closed in late 1959 and became a furniture shop the pub in Exchange st was always called the Rotherham house inn till about 1964ish when they decided to call the old number 12 then the the Beni inn about 1974 time then they renamed it the old no 12 again then the Market tavern and some other names in between that I cant remember the original old number 12 on the Haymaket was only called the old number 12 for a few years in the 20s but was always called the Sun inn no one seems to know where the name number 12 comes from or what it is all about I did a bit of research into it a few years ago but could not find out where the name number 12 came from some said it was a coach that came through the Haymaket at one time.

Edited by Shogun

Strange that I used to stay with my aunt and uncle when it was the Old No.12 in the 1950's before they moved around the corner into the building known as the Rotherham House. A good book on this is "The Definitive A-Z Listing of Sheffield Public Houses by Michael Liversidge.

A quote regarding the building which later became the Market Tavern:

The Market Tavern has seen more name changes than any public house in Sheffield: Rotherham House P.H.; The Sun; Old Number 12, Double 6; The Garden & Bernies Restaurant.

Regards,

Duffems