Old Sheffield pubs from the past gone for ever

Me & my late husband used to run the Carwood on Carlisle street, we had it from 1976 to 1980. It used to have a snooker table upstairs. Before that we had the Lord Nelson just of Savile Street, that was from 1972 to 1976.

I started my apprenticeship at Firth Browns in 1971 and had many chip butty and a pint lunchtimes in both pubs.

If I remember correctly your hubby was Fred, which I think was also his fathers name and your name starts with an A. The Patty bit threw me at first. So sorry to hear of Freds passing, he was a nice bloke.

I also remember Les in the Carwood before you took over, lots of good times in both pubs.

Hope you are well :)

Anyone remember going out for a session in Grimesthorpe. The Sheffield Arms and the Ball Inn are still here,but then into the Bee Hive, The Old Bowling Green, the Grimesthorpe Club, Victoria ,Prince of Wales,Hodson,Wellington, Who Can Tell, Crown, Good nights out ,with good people long ago but not forgotten.

its not just pubs either, according to this pagetheres plenty of things vanishing from INSIDE pubs too

like light and bitter, german shepheards and beer mats

Anyone remember a pub in Heeley on the brow of the hill going up Gleadless Road, called

Prospect View........locals use to call it ' the cuckoo ' ?

Can't remember if it was a Tetley's House or Wards........I do remember though that two

old ladies ran it, and there use to be a piano playing.

Anyone remember a pub in Heeley on the brow of the hill going up Gleadless Road, called

Can't remember if it was a Tetley's House or Wards........I do remember though that two

Most people in Heeley knew of the Prospect View (Cuckoo) though not many folk actually went in. It was a starnge place, almost a front room and not very well kept, it was the only pub in the area that my grandfather refused to have a pint in. I believe the two old ladies were sisters but, I can't recall their surnames.

The kukoo was that pubs nick name apparently kucoo is a slang word for a short measure I can remember going in there once and there was curtains at the back of the bar and the old lady went behind these curtains and came back with a jug off beer and poured it into glass strange little pub it had bare floor boards and sort of hung on the side of the bank overlooking the houses there was only one room and the bar was about 6 foot high the two lady's were sisters and the pub was a Tetleys pub.

Heyup,one of the best pints of Wards was in the Commercial at the end of Weedon street. Had many a good session (and lunch hour!) there many a moon ago.

How about the Gate? used to be near the old cinema? And the Turnpike? near the old Attercliffe baths?

I remember going for a pint or two on me lunch hour in the Woodborne, with the pool table in the back that had a really short cue for if you had to take a shot under the window!

Really sad thing is,these pubs wont ever return with society the way it is.

Most people in Heeley knew of the Prospect View (Cuckoo) though not many folk actually went in. It was a starnge place, almost a front room and not very well kept, it was the only pub in the area that my grandfather refused to have a pint in. I believe the two old ladies were sisters but, I can't recall their surnames.

I went in one day and completely trashed the place, think the ladies names were possibly Oldfield from directory information.

The Albert, Barkers Pool/Canbridge Street

Meet my husband in the Albert at the Steel City jazz club held over the pub.

its not just pubs either, according to this pagetheres plenty of things vanishing from INSIDE pubs too

like light and bitter, german shepheards and beer mats

hiyait brought it back to me when i read your post, i only went in the elm tree once and while we were having our pint, my mate said " see that hes just cut telephone wire and walked off with the phone under his coat" it was one for the customers on the bar.

hiyait brought it back to me when i read your post, i only went in the elm tree once and while we were having our pint, my mate said " see that hes just cut telephone wire and walked off with the phone under his coat" it was one for the customers on the bar.

Oh yes it was a rough house,alright, on quiz nights the opening question was "what tha bloody looking at". Mind a few years back kept a nice pint of Stones.