Maybe mind-games did affect Wilson?

speedy69

I posted on here a couple of months ago (in a thread now closed by the mods) about Danny Wilson possibly being affected by mind-games being played by promotion rivals. In the thread I was lambasted for saying this but in the cold light of day it seems that it maybe partly true.

So was it this that caused Uniteds sad demise, the Ched effect, Wednesdays MASSIVE run or something else?

I've said for sometime, and I'll say it again although I fear I will be shot down by blades, and/or have the post removed by the mods, but there is a losing mentality at the lane.

It's been there for many years (but at least under Warnock and Basset they had some battle to fight it - nowadays not so).

It's been around for all the play off's they've lost, for the semi's they've lost (including the big one), for the relegation battles.

It was there in the two derby's this season (if they'd not collapsed at the lane they'd have got promoted on Saturday instead of us).

It was there for the run in at the end of the season.

United don't have the bottle to see anything through.

And in all these years the one consistent thing has not been the players, the managers or even the board. It's been the fans. And that's where the problem lies.

The fans are too ready to accept failure. It's what they are used too. And I partially believe it's actually what some of them want - they want to fail so they have something to moan about.

So mind games does play a part, and Wilson has fallen fowl of it. But it was always going to be a battle against his own fans beliefs rather than against Wednesday.

Different gravy? In so many ways......

Well said mate, but the same as could be said about us Owls in recent years but at least with us all we needed to have was some ambition, a debt free club and some passion and guile in the players, all in all I think we have that now, the Blades have had that a few times in recent years but for some reason they have never had the killer instinct on the big occasion unlike the Owls, you can always sense that when the Owls backs are against a wall then anything could happen and we could just pull something out of the hat, unlike the Blades who have a canny ability to self destruct even when they have had points and games in hand, now they just have to stop this spiral before the playoffs otherwise it could turn very ugly down the Lane.

The only reason that United weren't promoted was that they lost their top goal scorer at the most important time of the year.
and rightly so, though im sure some of your more ardent fans still insist united wernt a one man team....seems gary madine was correct in your eyes when he said united are nothing without ched evans

Danny an United Chairman didn"t seem there was any Danger of losing Ched,but the January transfer Window just should that other Clubs were more prepared for the outcome,an whats the use of signing someone thats not going to be able to Play,United had no Back-Up for Ched an this as really been there stumbling block

The Ched effect is the reason Blades didn't get automatic. He's the best player, or was, in the League and probably the league above..

I do agree though that there is a bit of an inferiority complex down the Lane. I know there's constant debates about who has the more fans and are the bigger club and that Blades will claim this. But they know, as does every other football fan in the country, that its Wednesday. Always has been really....That's not an idle boast, its a fact, that's hard to accept..

The Ched effect is the reason Blades didn't get automatic. He's the best player, or was, in the League and probably the league above..

I do agree though that there is a bit of an inferiority complex down the Lane. I know there's constant debates about who has the more fans and are the bigger club and that Blades will claim this. But they know, as does every other football fan in the country, that its Wednesday. Always has been really....That's not an idle boast, its a fact, that's hard to accept..

well said frank,you got it in one.

Mind games now way, just a very bad time to lose ched, definitely didn't help the cause, i wouldn't say we're a one man team but his goals have been priceless this season, also it must have knocked confidence throughout the team, however we should have still have had enough in the locker to wrap it up.

I definitely wouldn't agree that united fans accept failure or that we want the team to fail just so we have something to moan about, in fact i'd say that comment by sidebottom was ridiculous. I for one love my club and always want them to succeed, On my way to wembley against burnley in the play off final was i thinking whats the point in this we've already lost??? no of course not, it's just how a game of football goes on the day.

The play offs this time round are gonna be very hard, stevanage are gonna be our biggest challenge, we will get past them over the two legs and i sincerely believe we will win at wembley, it's about time we put this big day hoodoo to rest once and for all, championship here we come...!!!