Sign in to follow this  

Wandering Black and Gray Dog in Crookes?

Hi everyone, hope you're all having a great Bank Holiday Weekend!

I'm just concerned about this black and gray/white dog that I regularly see on Carson Road (right next to where it joins Forres Road) in Crookes, S10.

He's quite an old chap, a little timid but friendly. He doesn't have a collar so I'm unsure if he belongs to someone at a house nearby who just let him out (the gardens aren't properly gated or fenced off) - but drivers seem to just fly around the corners and he could easily get injured. Not to mention that it has been quite cold out lately...

How do I go around making sure this poor guy stays safe? I've been tempted just to take him home!

The official advice is not to attempt to catch the dog yourself and instead call the dog warden. However, the dog warden won't be available until Tuesday now...

What I tend to do is get hold of them and take them in (I have a slip lead in the car now ready and waiting :rolleyes: ), get them scanned for a chip if there's anywhere open and then post flyers around the area and inform local radio stations and then if you have no luck by Tuesday contact the dog warden who will collect or you can drop it off at the pound. You'd have to sign the dog over and they will keep it for seven (or ten - not sure) days before putting it up for rehoming.

Sometimes the dog will lead you home if you take it for a walk :)

It's a moral dilemma because the poor chap is probably just kicked out the door to take himself for a walk but is it your place to do anything about that? I hate to see dogs on their own and recently took one home (he lead me home and I asked the neighbours to check). You never get any thanks though - not if they were supposed to be walking themselves :(

Thanks for the help Lotti, I do think he just gets let out to walk himself as I only see him intermittently. I'll save the dog warden's number into my mobile and call when I see the dog next.

Like I said, the dog could easily get hurt, I don't see how it is right to just let him out alone!

I think it's the same dog I saw a couple of months back, it was pottering around the flats on Brick Street (I think) I tried to catch it to have a look if it had a collar with owner's details etc but no luck, it was icy at the time as well so I couldn't run very fast after it. It was moving in quite a purposeful manner, if you know what i mean, as if it was used to being let out for a walk on its own:(

clearly this is not a one off but a dog which unfortunately is just being let out on its own, not very safe out there for the poor chappie (now I know it's a he!)