Stevenage vs Blades ..PLAY-OFF Thread

Really really cant see United getting past Stevenage going on the performance at the Lane a fortnight ago , United really have to dig deep to get themselves out the doldrums.

I said for the last few weeks whichever of us and Blades didnt get automatic would definately not get promoted , the strain of missing out is enough of a kick in the teeth without Uniteds other problems

Any neutral with an unbiased opinion would probably put the boot on the other foot and be far more positive about United's chances after the Stevenage game a couple of weeks back.

We started poor that's fact, we looked shakey and gave Stevenage space and time on the ball. They punished us with a couple of rediculously scrappy goals, the first one bouncing off young Harry's leg was freak but still we let them into the dangerous positions in the first place and they took advantage.

However Wilson made the changes and we took the game to them. We scored to hard worked goals and were a constant threat to them and quite frankly could have won and even should have with a couple of chances we missed. Stevenage struggled to handle us in the second half, Blades know that, Owls admitted that on here as well as in the pub where I drink.

The fact is we need more of that and we need to make sure we come straight out of the traps in the right attitude. Adapt our usual approach of being patient and waiting for the openings as opposed to how we staed a fortnight ago and we will be fine. Two legs to do the damage, going down to their place we simply need to be extremely solid at the back and try and poach a goal. which is achievable for our team, bring him back to the lane and we can work on more of what we did to them in the second half a couple of weeks back.

......We started poor that's fact, we looked shakey and gave Stevenage space and time on the ball. They punished us with a couple of rediculously scrappy goals, the first one bouncing off young Harry's leg was freak but still we let them into the dangerous positions in the first place and they took advantage.

Nothing freaky about the first Stevenage goal. If young Harry had been quick enough to deal with the situation there wouldn't have been a chance of it bouncing off his leg. Stevenage had two golden chances for 3-1 so a draw was a fair result

Which planet were you on the weekend we had the "bad performance" against Stevenage, can you remember what had just happened the day before, the team were down and the crowd were down, not surprising under circumstances but "tomorrow is another day" (Scarlet O'Hara). We deserve it and we'll get it "Cmon Blades"

I think it was what had just happened a couple of hours before that counted. What happened the day before?

I can't remember anything happening the day before the Stevenage game that would have effected the game.

I think the poster that I was replying to may have confused the Stevenage game with the Milton Keynes game.

Any neutral with an unbiased opinion would probably put the boot on the other foot and be far more positive about United's chances after the Stevenage game a couple of weeks back.

We started poor that's fact, we looked shakey and gave Stevenage space and time on the ball. They punished us with a couple of rediculously scrappy goals, the first one bouncing off young Harry's leg was freak but still we let them into the dangerous positions in the first place and they took advantage.

However Wilson made the changes and we took the game to them. We scored to hard worked goals and were a constant threat to them and quite frankly could have won and even should have with a couple of chances we missed. Stevenage struggled to handle us in the second half, Blades know that, Owls admitted that on here as well as in the pub where I drink.

The fact is we need more of that and we need to make sure we come straight out of the traps in the right attitude. Adapt our usual approach of being patient and waiting for the openings as opposed to how we staed a fortnight ago and we will be fine. Two legs to do the damage, going down to their place we simply need to be extremely solid at the back and try and poach a goal. which is achievable for our team, bring him back to the lane and we can work on more of what we did to them in the second half a couple of weeks back.

Stevenage have the physical edge on United and there centre and right sided midfield ran United ragged .... Yes United had a bit of a surge at the end but seriously Stevenage are a far more commited outfit than the blades and wont have the tag of perennial bottlers hanging over them either .

Easy Stevenage win ........ sorry just my opinion

Stevenage have the physical edge on United and there centre and right sided midfield ran United ragged .... Yes United had a bit of a surge at the end but seriously Stevenage are a far more commited outfit than the blades and wont have the tag of perennial bottlers hanging over them either .

Easy Stevenage win ........ sorry just my opinion

1. After playing them so recently don't you think it works to United's advantage as we know know how they play, where their strengths and weaknesses are and where they had most success against us and us against them?. If anything the game a fortnight ago served as a good warm up for the real thing don't you think?.

2. How can you possibly even say that one team are more committed than the other? We gained 90 points out of the season for god sake, if that isn't commitment to the cause then what is?. We've lost just once in our last 12 games and were very close to securing automatic but fell at the last hurdles. The club are determined to gain promotion that's why they have funded the highly increased wage bill for league one, the players are desperate for promotion hence injured players playing through the pain barrier despite doctors orders to rest and fringe players begging to be included. Prior to the last 3 games you wouldn't even question commitment. I saw nothing but commitment last time out, 10 men away at Exeter but we well and truely took the game to them. Nothing but committed and no I don't doubt Stevenage are either but aren't all teams? What a load of tripe this comment is :hihi:

3. How many times do you lot spout on about how past form goes out of the Window? How we've gone on in the past is 100% irrelevant to the task in front of us now. The past is very much the past and if anything it would only spur the current set of players on knowing they could achieve something that the players who wore the shirt before the didn't.

Silly negative comments that haven't really been thought out if you ask me mate. I really don't see where you are coming from at all.

1. After playing them so recently don't you think it works to United's advantage as we know know how they play, where their strengths and weaknesses are and where they had most success against us and us against them?. If anything the game a fortnight ago served as a good warm up for the real thing don't you think?.

2. How can you possibly even say that one team are more committed than the other? We gained 90 points out of the season for god sake, if that isn't commitment to the cause then what is?. We've lost just once in our last 12 games and were very close to securing automatic but fell at the last hurdles. The club are determined to gain promotion that's why they have funded the highly increased wage bill for league one, the players are desperate for promotion hence injured players playing through the pain barrier despite doctors orders to rest and fringe players begging to be included. Prior to the last 3 games you wouldn't even question commitment. I saw nothing but commitment last time out, 10 men away at Exeter but we well and truely took the game to them. Nothing but committed and no I don't doubt Stevenage are either but aren't all teams? What a load of tripe this comment is :hihi:

3. How many times do you lot spout on about how past form goes out of the Window? How we've gone on in the past is 100% irrelevant to the task in front of us now. The past is very much the past and if anything it would only spur the current set of players on knowing they could achieve something that the players who wore the shirt before the didn't.

Silly negative comments that haven't really been thought out if you ask me mate. I really don't see where you are coming from at all.

You can write as many long and impassioned speeches as you care to however this board is about opinions ( alledgedly ) and in my humble opinion United were outplayed at Bramall lane and Stevenage were by far the more commited team. United may have ammassed more points over the season but they are nowhere near the outfit they were for the majority of the season , we all know the reasons for that.

Anyroad Im glad your so confident and wish you luck ... youve been confident for a while though havnt you

Excuse me whilst I have a quiet but well earned smug smirk :hihi:

You can write as many long and impassioned speeches as you care to however this board is about opinions ( alledgedly ) and in my humble opinion United were outplayed at Bramall lane and Stevenage were by far the more commited team. United may have ammassed more points over the season but they are nowhere near the outfit they were for the majority of the season , we all know the reasons for that.

Anyroad Im glad your so confident and wish you luck ... youve been confident for a while though havnt you

Excuse me whilst I have a quiet but well earned smug smirk :hihi:

Correct this board is about opinions but it is also open to counter-opinions and I find your opinion to be highly incorrect that is why I am pointing it out to you. Theres nothing on paper to suggest that Stevenage were far more committed than us. We both hit the back of the net twice in the game and came out honours even.

And forgive me for being confident in my team unlike your fickle mob on here who wrote your chances off at least twice this season and sat sulking but as soon as things went the right way for you again you were the best thing since sliced bread. I will back my team and get behind them every week through thick and thin. Last laugh will hopefully be mine, COME ON YOU RED AND WHITE WIZARDS!......WEMBLEY WAY HERE I COME!

For a team who are nothing without our striker who has now departed us, we are still knocking the ball in the back of the net at about the same rate as we were when he was with us. But you lot seem to forget fact when talking about United. Scored two goals a game in our last two games which is where what we need to be looking to continue into the play-offs, shows were doing fine in front of goal without the player we are nothing without. If anything we need to be looking at tightening up at the back and we have more than a decent chance against Stevenage and whoever we are dealt with in the final should achieve it.

Edited by bassett-boys

Correct this board is about opinions but it is also open to counter-opinions and I find your opinion to be highly incorrect that is why I am pointing it out to you. Theres nothing on paper to suggest that Stevenage were far more committed than us. We both hit the back of the net twice in the game and came out honours even.

And forgive me for being confident in my team unlike your fickle mob on here who wrote your chances off at least twice this season and sat sulking but as soon as things went the right way for you again you were the best thing since sliced bread. I will back my team and get behind them every week through thick and thin. Last laugh will hopefully be mine, COME ON YOU RED AND WHITE WIZARDS!......WEMBLEY WAY HERE I COME!

For a team who are nothing without our striker who has now departed us, we are still knocking the ball in the back of the net at about the same rate as we were when he was with us. But you lot seem to forget fact when talking about United. Scored two goals a game in our last two games which is where what we need to be looking to continue into the play-offs, shows were doing fine in front of goal without the player we are nothing without. If anything we need to be looking at tightening up at the back and we have more than a decent chance against Stevenage and whoever we are dealt with in the final should achieve it.

Succinct and thorough as ever :hihi: I said I wish you every bit of luck Im sure your record in previous play off campaigns will stand you in good stead ;)

Succinct and thorough as ever :hihi: I said I wish you every bit of luck Im sure your record in previous play off campaigns will stand you in good stead ;)

out thought yes but not outplayed . there game plan worked a lot better than ours but we were never ouplayed pal

Based on what i saw in the last game against them, I'd say United should stick an extra midfielder in and play with one up-front (circumstances may dictate that anyway) as they seemed to have too much energy in there for you.

As an aside but relevant, that Stevenage side played far better football than the one I saw at Hillsborough earlier in the season.

Based on what i saw in the last game against them, I'd say United should stick an extra midfielder in and play with one up-front (circumstances may dictate that anyway) as they seemed to have too much energy in there for you.

As an aside but relevant, that Stevenage side played far better football than the one I saw at Hillsborough earlier in the season.

Think i'd probably start with Creswell on his own up front as well.

Wilson's played 4-4-2 all season though so he probably wont change it now.

Since the new manager has come in Stevenage dont play as much longball.They are still a freekishly tall team though.Take the number 15 out and they look like a basketball team.