Portable Appliance Testing (P. A. T.) megathread

I have done a search on here for PAT testing, but all i require is the testing of a TV prior to taking it to a care home.

The TV is at Bolton On Dearne. I am in Rotherham. I cannot lift it on my own to move it from place to place (sciatica problem). I can get someone to help me take it to the care home in Barnsley. What would be the best way forward?

Ask Rich if his dad can help.

hi im after a pat tester something fairly cheap n basic as im just starting out, if anyone has anything please pm, many thanks

Need a PAT electrical test done in my house that I rent...what does this involve? Thanks

PAT test is "Portable (electric) Appliance Testing" so, if your landlord has supplied things like (but not limited to) electric heaters, (or even something as simple as a lamp, or toasters and kettles) then they need checking for safety.

Part of the test involves a visual inspection (scorched, loose, or frayed wiring for example) and also a test using a machine to make sure there are no "shorts" in any of the electrics.

Ask for a second opinion on anything condemned by the tester. IME most people wielding a PAT tester haven't a clue how to use it and either pass or fail things incorrectly, test things that don't need testing and then condemn them, or don't test half the stuff they're supposed to.

Obviously they'll not be touching anything of yours so you may not want to get involved.

I believe you can do the course in a day or two at some places, which pays for itself if you will have repeat inspections.

I believe you can do the course in a day or two at some places, which pays for itself if you will have repeat inspections.

Yes you can do the course in a short time,

BUT

a PAT Tester is NOT cheap at all so would take a fair time to even pay for its self

Isn't there a forum member called PINNACLE PAT who does testing?