First time landlord

I'm about to rent out my house for the first time, I've no idea what I need to do - we've already found prospective tenants, so that side is going well.

Not sure whether I need to get an agent or whether its easy enough to do everything myself - is there a website somewhere that I can look at. I've got a gas certificate and fire alarms but how would I set up contracts and credit checks myself ?

Can you provide a loving home for a rescue kittie ? Rain Rescue Cats

Free/cheap cat neutering please look here Link

yes, I'm thinking agent for peace of mind.

Mortgage is already arranged to let out property and got landlords insurance. Got my gas certificate. Getting appropriate furniture.

Do I need an electric check / certificate ?

will check out the government deposit thingy

thanks !

Check out Landlord Zone. You will get all the information you need there.

Just a few points:

Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement

Energy Performance Certificate

Gas/Electric safety certificate

Reference and credit checks on tenant/s

Landlord building insurance

Contents insurance if furnished.

As mentioned above, check with your mortgage company if applicable, that it is OK to rent the property.

It's up to you if you use an agent. On the plus side, they will (or should) deal with repairs and the paperwork. Negative is that they will take a sizeable chunk of the rent (although this can be added to your tax return).

I'm about to rent out my house for the first time, I've no idea what I need to do - we've already found prospective tenants, so that side is going well.

Not sure whether I need to get an agent or whether its easy enough to do everything myself - is there a website somewhere that I can look at. I've got a gas certificate and fire alarms but how would I set up contracts and credit checks myself ?

1. Is it a house or a flat?

2. Is it in England & Wales or elsewhere?

3. Do you own it?

4. Is it freehold or leasehold; and, if leasehold, does the lease prohibit/restrict subletting?

5. Is it unmortgaged or mortgaged; and, if mortgaged, do the mortgage conditions prohibit/restrict subletting?

6. If you let it, avoid reserving a rent payable weekly [as this necessitates a Rent Book, or similar additional paperwork, and usually precludes a Standing Order arrangement by T].

7. Buying a ready-made Letting Agreement may be adequate [see Property Hawk http://www.propertyhawk.co.uk/] but equally you may prefer to have a personalised Agreement tailor-made by your own solicitor.

also dont forget you need to set up a bond deposit account for the bond to be held legally if you are doing it yourself. quite easy and free to do so.

Not necessarily. There are three Deposit Protection Schemes under the Housing Act 2004.

See http://www.lawpack.co.uk/landlord-and-tenancy/managing-your-tenancy/articles/article873.asp

oh my, think we will go with an agent for the first year at least.

Jeffrey, house was owned outright, but I just converted it to a let to buy and released some capital so I can buy another house. House is a leasehold - I want to buy the freehold, so looking for a solicitor to assist with this

Now got our tenants, 4 guys who seem very keen. Just need to find an agent now ... any recommendations anyone ?