Help! The wedding dress disaster

Lol I'm mega tall at whoping 5f 4inch lol Thank you all for support and good advice. Will let you know how it went on tuesday. Fingers crossed it'll go better this time x

Well been to Berketex today, tried my dress on and... it's definitely too short, was in bits, tried to argue but got nowhere as they can't see anything wrong with it and don't think it's their fault either.. Been informed that they contacted the head office and they said they can order new dress for me with extra leng but it's going to cost me £400!!!!!!! The dress is at it's perfect lengh without the hoop underneath it and with no shoes. Can't afford to fish out £400 as Idon't have that amount to spend so finally come to decision I'll have to have custom made tiny hoop just to keep the dress off my legs and hopefully that won't make the dress too short...

Under the sale of goods act your dress should be of satisfactory quality and be fit for purpose. If you are only 5ft 4 then it is ridiculous that the dress is too short. In most cases the dresses are too long and they have to chop length off. They had to do that with me and I'm 5ft 7. I would seriously contact Citizens advice. Having said that though I guess you do sign a contract to say you will pay for alterations so they may class that as an alteration. However £400 is excessive!! It maybe worth asking other bridal shops what they think of the situation? I could ask some of my contacts for you if you like?

Yes please that'd be great if you could.. I'd be greatfull for any information. Thank you so much. They offered me an alternations package which cost £180 but I refused it as I knew that's pretty steep and I didn't expected any major work needed to be done on the dress when it arrive, so the lady agreed to do the basic alternationd free of charge. the £400 is the cost for the designer to make me another gown with longer lengh and apparantely I should be greatfull that the designer agreed to do it just for £400 not the full price again which I paid in first place the £1049! It's playing on my mind so much it makes me ill, I'm worrying that making the hoop to a tiny size it won't work and the dress will still look too short or the dress will loose the look it ment to have because there will be no support from the hoop... I was considering askng for refund but I don't think they will agree to give me my money back.

Edited by zuzanna13018

How did you pay? If it was on a credit card i would try phoning the card company and explaining you are unhappy with the goods and they may advise you on your rights of a refund via card. Otherwise i would demand a refund on the grounds of selling your story to bridal magazines. -would make good article informing other brides of their rights, best of luck.

Hi hun,

I asked on my Facebook page for you but no bridal shops replied but other people seemed to think that this is really bad and feel sorry for you. Some said surely it's their responsibility to make sure that the dress fits properly and one person said they knew a bespoke dress designer and most dresses are made to fit 5ft 6 or 7. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help. If I can find out anything else for you I will do. I really hope you get it sorted. You should feel like a princess on your wedding day. :thumbsup:

Thank you ever so much!! Been in touch with the head office and put my complain in, also took some photos of the derss and send them to the head office to investigate, originally wanted full refund or new dress ordering free of charge but meantime we've found solution of altering me own hoop to a lot smaller size of 69inch in circumference so the lengh will drop which it worked and it made the dress look better but as the hoop is a lot smaller than it ment to be the dress lost the "princess" shape and it's more like A-line gown now, so I've asked for the price to be reduced but got e-mail back saying that all they can do is to arrange for my gown to be dry clean after the wedding. I'm glad the dress is in wearable state now but hated all the stress and it was awful experience. I'll definitely won't put my foot in that shop ever again!

Bless ya. I hope it all works out ok in the end. I'm sure it will and I'm sure you will look amazing xxx

Just to wish you the best of luck. Not what you want especially when you are paying so much :-(