Can I store a washing machine in my garage??

This might seem like a daft question with a pretty obvious answer but here we go ...

I'm in the process of buying a house and am staying with family for the time being. I'm going to need to buy all new white goods and have seen a pretty good deal on a used washing machine but the only place i can think to store it until the house comes through is in my mum's garage.

It would only be for a few weeks, 2 months tops but is there a chance that during this time a perfectly good washing machine could go bad?

Has anyone stored a washer in this way before and if so did it still work after??

If you are buying a brand new machine you need to check it for faults within 7 days or you may find that you cannot get an exchange under 28 day rule but after that if it works OK you should have no problem keeping it in garage. The only item that would have issues being stored in garage would be fridge freezer due to temperature problems

I did say i need all new things but the washer i've seen is 3 month old (apparently!)

I've read that all the water needs to be drained, which is fair enough and easily done...so i think i'm going to chance it because as Leah said, people do use their garages as a laundry :) my mum's garage is in pretty good, dry condition so i'm hoping it won't be a problem.

Thanks for the replies :D

Be very careful because why would somebody be selling a 3 month old washer? If it has fault they still have warranty, I'd ask the question why they are selling first. The only reason we ask for water to be drained is because we have lot of other valuable electrical equipment on vans but of course it is best to drain as much water out as you can

Edited by denlin

Be very careful because why would somebody be selling a 3 month old washer? If it has fault they still have warranty, I'd ask the question why they are selling first. The only reason we ask for water to be drained is because we have lot of other valuable electrical equipment on vans but of course it is best to drain as much water out as you can

Good point, but people can have reasons, I once bought a 2 month old one, as the person selling was moving to furnished accommodation with a brand new fitted kitchen with appliances, I got their fridge too, both with warranty :D