Boiler broken - landlord's obligation?

The private landlord has been 'waiting for a boiler part' that he couldn't find in local shops after the boiler in the house (with about 30 tenants) went on Saturday.

Tenants are having to shower at relatives homes (if they do at all!) and are thus inconvenienced. The landlord is a decent bloke and usually very good at getting things fixed and replying to complaints etc, so i haven't whinged. I don't know if anyone else has?

Family members and friends, especially the females, are saying I should complain and demand some rent reduction, which does include all bills.

What do you think?

I think: enforce s.11(1) of Landlord and Tenant Act 1985- see below, with my underlining- at L's expense.

11. Repairing obligations in short leases.

(1) In a lease to which this section applies (as to which, see sections 13 and 14) there is implied a covenant by the lessor:

(a) to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling-house (including drains, gutters and external pipes),

(b) to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences, but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity), and

© to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for space heating and heating water.

Thanks, Jeffrey, I doubt any of us have any right to demand some reduction of the next rent though?

It could get messy (in court?) with a LL who we all (I think) get on well with, he has always been decent and fair with tenants, fixing things quickly with qualified workmen.

Thanks, Jeffrey, I doubt any of us have any right to demand some reduction of the next rent though?

'Any right'? No, but why not ask- unless you do, you won't know whether L is willing to compensate.

It could get messy (in court?) with a LL who we all (I think) get on well with, he has always been decent and fair with tenants, fixing things quickly with qualified workmen.

You have to decide. If he's always been fair to you, why not be fair to him?

It sounds like the landlord was on the ball and tried to get the boiler working as soon as possible. The best gas engineer in the world would not have got it going if he couldn't get the part.

However he may well knock a bit of money of your rent - but consider this. At this time of year even in a house your size I doubt he will be paying £50 pounds a week on the gas bill. Even if he is paying £200 per week, divided between 30 tenants you are looking at a fiver each for the amount your all inclusive rent is paying towards the gas bill.

Is it worth the hassle?

Thanks guys, I'll leave the reduction question. I think he's been genuine and fair.

I had a breakdown recently and it took a week to fix. The problem was with a combi and the gas safe engineer thought he knew what the problem was but it wasn't that. After another guess it wasn't that either. It was decided to get the manufacturers engineers in. It took in all 7 days and I got my man in the very next morning!

Well this partical tenant was very understanding although it was a warm week and I did offer portable electric heaters. The tenant didn't complain but I reduced the monthly rent by 10% as compensation.

These modern boilers are rubbish compared to the old pilot light ones. The old ones did break down now and then but was easy to fix. These modern boilers although saving co2 need annual servicing and a life expectancy of 10 years. They actually can cost more than the old boilers did.

Anyway, got a service plan now with the manufacturer. Cost a daft amount a year but I have cover and a get out clause for ignorance.

Give me the old Glow worm pilot light boiler anyday!

That's good- if it goes on over a week, a landlord is showing good faith by reducing the rent.

Is this still ongoing? If so, the law might well be applied here?