CD player blew up!! Can it be repaired??

Hi, at the risk of telling you all that Im a total idiot, I was trying to connect a sub/amp etc to my sons Ipod dock/cd player etc, it wasnt working after following the instructions so thinking I was clever I tried wiring it up differently.

I plugged it in and there was a 'pop' and a bit of smoke came out of it :o.

Since then the Ipod dock and radio still work, but the cd door wont open, and if I open it manually the cd still doesnt work at all.

Its a Logik LOGF4i, so not a vastly expensive thing, but I just wondered if anyone thought it could be repaired? Its a shame just to bin it if it could.

Thanks in advance, and I dont need people telling me Im a muppet, as I already know :D

These types of things are designed to be disposable so it's very unlikely that you either find someone who could/would repair it or be able to get it done for an economically viable price. My advice would be to get on Ebay and just replace it

These types of things are designed to be disposable so it's very unlikely that you either find someone who could/would repair it or be able to get it done for an economically viable price. My advice would be to get on Ebay and just replace it

Thats kind of what I thought :( I have bought him a bigger/better one since, I think I was only hoping it could be repaired as I was mad at myself for doing it in the first place.

I can't begin to imagine how you managed to do that, it shouldn't have been possible to wire it in such a way that it only broke the CD functionality.

It still might be worth selling it as faulty on eBay or something, someone might want to have a crack at it. I'd be curious myself but I'm not about to splash any cash on it as I don't really need it even if I could fix it - lol.

I can't begin to imagine how you managed to do that, it shouldn't have been possible to wire it in such a way that it only broke the CD functionality.

It still might be worth selling it as faulty on eBay or something, someone might want to have a crack at it. I'd be curious myself but I'm not about to splash any cash on it as I don't really need it even if I could fix it - lol.

I plugged it all in earlier and it turns out the sound doesnt work through the speakers either, so its well and truly buggered, and now in the bin!!

Inside most electrical devices have a built in safety feature on the circuit board that once they "POP" its cheaper to buy a new device then getting it repaired- a major retailer charges £65 for looking at a tv set then its about £45 to replace 3 commponents to make it work and only gives you 1 year warranty on the repair only which like i said its cheaper to but a new tv

I don't think that is true at all.

Most devices, especially DC ones, do not bother to have any sort of safety device at all - because DC devices are considered too low a voltage to be a hazard.

In some cases they may have filtering diodes on the power input which will blow if you use a power adapter of the wrong polarity (and totally CAN be replaced cheaply, if you are good at soldering), but if you use one at too high a voltage its likely you will blow something important.

For example I had some powered PC speakers I tried to power directly from the PCs PSU once and they blew the amplifier IC because there was no regulation circuit so it got to many amps. I have since realised you ALWAYS need a voltage regulator after the PSU if you are powering something not specifically designed to be powered from a PC PSU.

I really cannot fathom how this particular device got blown though, there shouldn't have been anything you COULD do to blow it. The PSU is not going to fit in any other socket and there shouldn't be any other voltages high enough coming in or out of the ports to do the kind of damage to cause smoke.

Although I did fry an amplifier once by plugging my MP3 player in while the power was on, the static caused a short in the IC and release of the magic smoke. However I suspect it was already faulty and I just pushed it over the edge. Yet, it still worked afterwards but the audio inputs were shorted, you would hear anything on a different input even when not set to that input.

most electrical items now have about 99% non serviceable components which makes it very difficult to repair unless you go to MAPLINS or RS which if the components are made especially for that device there maybe an alternative component it depends on who makes the device ( matsui is a currys brand but there can be up to 8 different makes of companies in 1 dvd or tv set