Should I enable deinterlace on my CCTV system? ;)

There is an option to de-interlace the recording from my cctv system.

Its in the options and you tick the box.

What does it do?

Is it better to have it ticked or leave it blank?

Ta :)

Thanks for the sarcastic reply.

It was actualy almost useful.

From the bits ive managed to understand it seems for a better picture i need to put a tick in the De-interlace box.

Is this accurate or am i dafter than a blonde?

PAL and NTSC are both interlaced pictures. I assume your CCTV has recorded in this format. If you're playing back on a PC then deinterlace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinterlace

My camera records in PAL to a pc.

The software for controllng the camera has the option to de interlace.

At present ive been recording without the de-interlace option ticked.

Will ticking the option improve the recording picture?

I understand it wont affect what ive already recorded but what about the footage i record with it ticked?

Sorry but i did say im dafter than a blonde :(

A de-interlaced video is often softer, but can be viewed by virtually all software. An interlaced video is only openable by a subset of that software.

If you've not noticed the problem, then don't worry about it. It's pretty obvious when something which can cope with interlaced video tries to show one!

Right so de-interlaced will be a better picture when it comes to playback?

Great.

Thanks forthe help :)

More modern GFX cards however will support hardware de-interlacing, so no matter what you throw at it, it should play..

but yeah, tick it to be safer

By recording interlaced you are keeping it closer to the original picture, deinterlacing could lose some detail in the image which depending on what you are using the CCTV to monitor could be vitally important to retain.

Recording interlaced is unlikely to be a problem, most software can deinterlace on playback if you need to anyway.

On the other hand, recording deinterlaced may save disk space, as its easier to compress a progressive signal than an interlaced one. So it entirely depends on if it appears to improve or degrade the picture.

Oh and yes, the title WAS too short. Surely a better title would have been "should I enable deinterlace on my CCTV system?".

Edited by AlexAtkin

By recording interlaced you are keeping it closer to the original picture, deinterlacing could lose some detail in the image which depending on what you are using the CCTV to monitor could be vitally important to retain.

Recording interlaced is unlikely to be a problem, most software can deinterlace on playback if you need to anyway.

On the other hand, recording deinterlaced may save disk space, as its easier to compress a progressive signal than an interlaced one. So it entirely depends on if it appears to improve or degrade the picture.

Oh and yes, the title WAS too short. Surely a better title would have been "should I enable deinterlace on my CCTV system?".

Consider me told :hihi:

Thanks for all the info.

Right, so interlaced is better for keeping the quality as near originial as is possible and de-interlaced makes it more compatible for other pcs to be able to play.

So if im not bothered so much about playback issues (apart from quality obviously) and compatibility problems im just better off not ticking the de-interlace box.?

Use your own eyes to judge, check if the content seems any different either way and keep whichever you prefer.