Need Help re-installing Windows XP

Ok, just inherited a working PC, but the copy of Windows on it doesn't pass Windows Genuine Validation, apparently the key is invalid (my guess is it's got a dodgy copy of XP on it!).

So to remedy this, I want to install my GENUINE COPY of XP Pro on it instead.

Set Bios up to run from CD Rom first, ok, no problem there, it installs certain files, before it (tries) to install XP. When it comes to actually installing it I get a message on screen saying "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer" blah blah you may need to run your manufacturers diagnostics disc blah blah."

Now, I know there is a hard drive in there, and I know it works cos its already got (dodgy!) XP on it, am i missing something in Bios? The hard drive is sata, would this make a difference?

I want to totally format the H/D but its saying it cant find it.

HELP!!!! :help: :help: :help:

Chances are it's an old XP CD which doesn't have the drivers integrated for the SATA controller.

Easiest thing to do is whip the side off and find the motherboard model number.

Go to the website of the motherboard manufacturer and download the textmode drivers for the SATA and RAID controllers,(you don't know which the HDD is plugged into)

Hardest part now is digging up a floppy disc and copying those drivers to the disk to use in the computer.

If you succeed at this point, boot the windows cd and look for where it says to load additional drivers press F3, and follow the promps on the screen.

So, how is it now? :))

Its working like a dream, :clap: :clap: though the dam updates took me almost 4 hours to download and install!! :rant:

Many thanks, Mozalan, you're just a supreme star!! :headbang: :headbang:

Definitely recommend this guy to anyone who needs their pc/laptop sorting!!