Boys throwing stones at the ducks and geese in Hillsborough Park

I was having a walk round the pond in Hillsborough park today, with a few bits of bread for the ducks. 5 young lads were throwing stones and clods at them. :(

They walked away when I commented on their behaviour, and at the same time my daughter got her phone out to ring 101. I mentioned it to the chap who looks after the walled garden, I know he would tell them to stop if he sees them, but he can't be everywhere. Since there have been cuts in funding for parks there are less paid workers around to put a stop to that sort of nasty behaviour.

At least they didn't have a go at me when I said I didn't like what they were doing, they just slunk off.

It makes me wonder what type of home these youngsters come from. :huh:

I was having a walk round the pond in Hillsborough park today, with a few bits of bread for the ducks. 5 young lads were throwing stones and clods at them. :(

They walked away when I commented on their behaviour, and at the same time my daughter got her phone out to ring 101. I mentioned it to the chap who looks after the walled garden, I know he would tell them to stop if he sees them, but he can't be everywhere. Since there have been cuts in funding for parks there are less paid workers around to put a stop to that sort of nasty behaviour.

At least they didn't have a go at me when I said I didn't like what they were doing, they just slunk off.

Thank you, that was a good and decent thing you did.

Around 4/5 17-25(ish) "kids" where drunk in the park tuesday when i went, on the kids climbing frame (the wooden one) shouting abuse and people walking past and peeing. i called 101 and was told someone would be out but i was in the park for 2hrs no-one came.

Around 4/5 17-25(ish) "kids" where drunk in the park tuesday when i went, on the kids climbing frame (the wooden one) shouting abuse and people walking past and peeing. i called 101 and was told someone would be out but i was in the park for 2hrs no-one came.

disgusting, complain.

How old were these young lads?

Good of you to correct them in the error of their ways.

Your second (bolded) comment worries me a little.

You say "what type of homes they come from".

Probably good ones.

There's a saying "boys will be boys"....and it's so true.

Making judgements on the parents/upbringing is a bit strong!

Last week my Grandson did the same thing whilst we were out walking (not in Hillsborough park)

He was corrected!

Later he was happy just throwing sticks into the water for the dog to retrieve.

We went home with one wet dog....and happy ducks in the pond.

I can't say for sure he has taken a mental note that his first escapade was wrong, but we can only hope.

Same goes for the parents you/me haven't met.

How old were these young lads?

Good of you to correct them in the error of their ways.

Your second (bolded) comment worries me a little.

You say "what type of homes they come from".

Probably good ones.

There's a saying "boys will be boys"....and it's so true.

Making judgements on the parents/upbringing is a bit strong!

Last week my Grandson did the same thing whilst we were out walking (not in Hillsborough park)

He was corrected!

Later he was happy just throwing sticks into the water for the dog to retrieve.

We went home with one wet dog....and happy ducks in the pond.

I can't say for sure he has taken a mental note that his first escapade was wrong, but we can only hope.

Same goes for the parents you/me haven't met.

The three biggest ones looked 15 or 16, and certainly should have known better. They weren't young children. We have young grandchildren, and like yours they are corrected. And I'm sure if your grandson does it again, you'll reinforce what you said this time. That is how children learn appropriate behaviour.

I probably shouldn't have commented on their background, as I don't know anything about them and I do try to be non-judgemental. But I was angry at what they were doing, and in my experience most children who have been taught to care about animals wouldn't try to harm them.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

And yet the last time I was in Hillsborough Park I got a letter from the police telling me that I had left my car radio on view.:loopy:

Posts like this really get my back up, I gather you were born an adult then ?. and never had a childhood where you your self never did anything wrong.

And to put a statement like you have about the kind of home they came from, kids from all walks of life being it posh or scum as you would make it out, you get them all doing wrong at some time.