Unexpected visitors, please help!

I arrived home from work this evening to find my next door neighbour nervously pacing up and down her drive. Earlier she'd opened her shed and a cat had shot out, leaving behind 3 very small kittens obviously this came as quite a shock!

So for the last 2 hours we've been enticing the mother cat to come back, with the aid of some food. The cat is quite nervous but seems ok with being stroked, so I dont think she's wild.

Because my neighbour's husband has allergies, and I have a little experience with (adult) cats, I've offered to keep the mom and her babies in my garage - I have a cat who's rather territorial so can't keep her in the house. We've managed to get them all settled in the garage and she looks to be nursing them so I think we're doing ok so far.

My neighbour is currently out knocking on doors to see if anyone knows who's cat it is, but neither of us have ever seen her before, so I'm not holding out too much hope. Is there anywhere it is possible to borrow a scanner to see if she's been chipped? I know the vets will have one but I don't really fancy moving her again for a while.

Finally, I've never looked after kittens before is there anything I should do other than provide food and water for the mother cat?

Thanks for reading

Please try and contact one of the rescues, see if they can take mum and little ones in. If not, all that will happen is mum will get pregnant again. Poor things, good on you for helping!

In the meantime though, food and water should be fine.

OMG!! Is there an epidemic! I have just had a similar experience. cat and four kittens in my shed-- . I am ok at looking after them until they are weaned but I already have a cat and dog so need to find them new homes to go to around the end of June.I worry where they would end up with the free to good homes ad's so wonder if there is an organisation that could help> I have heard that the Cats protection are full up and that the RSPCA only take in cruelty cases now-- so does anybody know who to contact for help?

Oooh heck, I bet that was a bit of a surprise!

In the short term, as much decent cat food as you can summon up (ideally kitten food, as mummy will need loads of calories to feed hungry babies) and some water and some comfort and security are all that she will need. An old towel or blanket in a box will make a fab bed which will keep the wind out, but sometimes they choose not to use that sort of thing anyway.

I'd love to be able to tell you that I could take this mum, but I'm hand rearing a litter at the moment and I just wouldn't have the time spare to look after them. You really do need to get her in with the Cat Shelter (2724441, they try to answer all calls between 1.30 and 3.30 daily) or someone at the Cats Protection, because she will need spaying and the babies will need a good forever home in a few weeks' time.

Good luck :)

The Sheffield Cat Shelter are also bursting with mums and kittens - yes it is that time again - and how sad that these young mums are having to care for their babies outside and in garden sheds with potentially dangerous objects in and around for young kitties.

It would be great if you can keep them all inside. Mum WILL get mated again immediatly so she will need to be spayed after the kittens are weened. Rain aren't able to take in any cats at the moment, we don't have any facilities. We are trying to help the Sheffield Cat Shelter with their overload where we can.

So - as said, get both of these cats inside if possible, make the area safe and warm for them all - with good quality kitten biscuits and pouches and a litter tray for mum to use. Once they are ready for weaning - people can give you advice how to go about it, maybe the Cat Protection can offer you neutering vouchers for the kittens to go with - but get MUM spayed before she is let back out - otherwise this will be the first of loads of litters all throughout the warmer weather - up until about october/november they were breeding last year.

Thanks for looking after them bless you.

Just an update on my new family-- Been onto the Cats protection and they have offered to pay for Mom to be spayed and to help in finding them all homes. In the meantime they are doing fine. I have them in my spare bedroom in a dog cage which is large enough for their bed, litter tray and food and water pots and mom comes out for a wander several times a day. So far they are not a bit of trouble just a lot of the AHHHHHH!! factor!

According to Cats protection Gleadless valley (where I live) is a black spot for incidents such as this!

Edited by Snowbird
need to ad information.

Excellent snowbird, I'm hopefully getting my mother cat scanned by CP this weekend and I'm going to try and get a neutering voucher for her. My new residents are now set up in the garage with heaters, beds and bowls etc, the cage is a good idea - the kittens are too young to move out of their bed at the moment but I think it would be nice to confine them a bit when they start to wander! The mother cat - who I've not yet named (although getting more attached by the day!) - is settling down and comes to greet me when I go in to see them, it's lovely to see her coming out of her shell.