Will laptops play any region dvd's

PopT

I want to send some Dvd.s to mi grandson in New Zealand which is region 4.

Will his new Dell computer plays them if they are a different region.

I don't him to be disappointed if I send them and he cannot view them.

Thankyou for any help or advice.

PopT

Every computer DVD drive I've seen has been shipped 'region free' - it then chooses a region based on the first few DVDs you put it in (There is usually a message like 'you are playing a region 2 dvd, this will become the default after x plays)

Whether it's the same on drives on 'pre built' machines i'm not sure - but there are endless ways around region coding with free software, so it shouldnt be too much of a problem.

I know in days of old youd get a message telling you youd got so many plays left before it locked but ive played some ntsc ones lately and mi puter never told me, they just played.

Run any these days?

Floyd 77 & Melthebell

Thanks so much for the info, I'm confident in sending them now.

My Grandson in New Zealand is a mad young skateboarder who lives opposite a great purpose built skateboarding park.

If he can view the skateboarding Dvd's I've got for him he will be well chuffed.

You are great. Popt

ive just found the area where you can change the dvd region on yer dvd drive

my computer/right click on yer dvd drive/properties/hardware/select dvd drive/properties/dvd region

it says about only having 4 changes left, selecting a region, and mines set for region 2

ive just found the area where you can change the dvd region on yer dvd drive

my computer/right click on yer dvd drive/properties/hardware/select dvd drive/properties/dvd region

it says about only having 4 changes left, selecting a region, and mines set for region 2

Whatever you change it to on the 4th change becomes permanent apparently.

What you can do though is just download VLC Player, which plays any format you can possibly throw at it including R1 DVDs (I've used it to play American DVDs and they worked fine).

Whatever you change it to on the 4th change becomes permanent apparently.

What you can do though is just download VLC Player, which plays any format you can possibly throw at it including R1 DVDs (I've used it to play American DVDs and they worked fine).

exactly not sure why

sure i used to get the box up telling me about region change when i played different regions before.

but these days they just play in the software without altering the dvd drive