Origin Broadband and the digital region speeds

Good evening all,

I have finally been connected to the digital region with Origin today and i wanted to see if anyone gets the same readings as me re ping speeds.

you can do a ping test via speedtest.net but this will only tell you what the speed was at that second. The better way is to go into command prompt and type:

ping -t google.co.uk

leave this to run for a few minutes and then press Ctrl and C to stop. This will then give you a summary

Ping statistics for :

Packets: Sent = 1360, Received = 1349, Lost = 1

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 29ms, Maximum = 187ms, Average = 33ms

The fact that i have lost 1 isn't good. also the variance i assume isn't good either.

What creates these big variances? is it the quality of my line? if it is can anything be done about it?

much appreciated if you guys could upload your results :)

Good evening all,

I have finally been connected to the digital region with Origin today and i wanted to see if anyone gets the same readings as me re ping speeds.

you can do a ping test via speedtest.net but this will only tell you what the speed was at that second. The better way is to go into command prompt and type:

ping -t google.co.uk

leave this to run for a few minutes and then press Ctrl and C to stop. This will then give you a summary

Ping statistics for :

Packets: Sent = 1360, Received = 1349, Lost = 1

Minimum = 29ms, Maximum = 187ms, Average = 33ms

The fact that i have lost 1 isn't good. also the variance i assume isn't good either.

What creates these big variances? is it the quality of my line? if it is can anything be done about it?

much appreciated if you guys could upload your results :)

when i did mine at first it was way up but settled down after a few days i think it may just be something that happens when its first activated, and will eventually settle down mine is around 32 with no packets lost

Packets: Sent = 195, Received = 195, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Minimum = 41ms, Maximum = 42ms, Average = 41ms

That was only a short test because i agree with the post above. I was told by an IT techie that it can take a few days for a line to settle down.

Ping statistics for 173.194.67.94:

Packets: Sent = 171, Received = 171, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 79ms, Average = 31ms

I'm not aware of any settling down period on Digital Region.

They say that on BT based products as their equipment has Dynamic Line Management, which starts with the most aggressive "best case scenario" settings and works it way down from there, reducing your speed, increasing interleaving, etc, until the line is stable.

Digital Region has no such automated system, they have to change profile settings manually so there shouldn't really be a settling in period as they just set the safest settings by default, which is why the average ping on Digital Region is much much higher than the best on BT. You have to specifically ask for them to try more aggressive settings and then its up to you to decide if its stable enough.