Just to say being pregnant isn't an illness

I think there are some people who get on with it and some people who dont.

Personally i had a nightmare pregnancy 21 hospital admissions ranging from 1 night to 12 nights, an extension built in the last 3 weeks of pregnancy leaving me with no garden and 4 dogs.

Never did it cross my mind to get rid of mine, in fact it killed me putting them in kennels so i could go into hospital and have bubba. I wouldnt go in until i knew they were sorted in kennels.

We are nothing special, my hubby works long hours and full time but we got by and still do, J comes for a walk with all 4 of them everyday. Im a believer in stuff is doable if you want it to be. Im not saying its easy and sometimes the dogs were desperate for a wee if my hubby couldnt get a break till late etc but get rid of my dogs................... hmmm will have to kill me first!!!!!

Personally i had a nightmare pregnancy 21 hospital admissions ranging from 1 night to 12 nights, an extension built in the last 3 weeks of pregnancy leaving me with no garden and 4 dogs.

Never did it cross my mind to get rid of mine, in fact it killed me putting them in kennels so i could go into hospital and have bubba. I wouldnt go in until i knew they were sorted in kennels.

We are nothing special, my hubby works long hours and full time but we got by and still do, J comes for a walk with all 4 of them everyday. Im a believer in stuff is doable if you want it to be. Im not saying its easy and sometimes the dogs were desperate for a wee if my hubby couldnt get a break till late etc but get rid of my dogs................... hmmm will have to kill me first!!!!!

i agree being with out my dogs doesn't bare thinking about & i know some dont have that option like i said its the ones that don't care that upset me :(

When I was pregnant my health visitor and my midwife told me to get rid of the animals or I werent allowed to bring my baby home. I had 2 tarantulas, a snake, 2 lizards and a hamster, let alone the animals of friends I looked after, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs etc.

Aparantly these reptiles I had would cause problems to me and my baby and when the baby is born they could bite him and hurt him. 1. the reptiles are all locked away in a room each with their own lock. 2. the would never be around my baby. 3.If I wash my hand before and after everytime I had contact with the reptiles I would be fine.

So annoying be told I have to get rid of them. Thing the mid-wifes and health visitors have a role in the getting rid because I am pregnant, issues.

I too hate it and find it hard to see people getting rid of any animal because they are pregnant. many dont say because Im pregantn im finding it hard and tiring to care for my animal etc, reason is plain i am pregnant.

OK then, the pregnancy was unplanned but they had put off having children because of the individual needs of the dog for a number of years.

If this is the dog that I'm thinking of then that's a pretty accurate set of circumstances BTW. The dog is large, very powerful and has bitten lots of people over a number of years, including both owners. The alternative to rehoming in an adult only home is to have the dog put to sleep.

What would you do in those circumstances? I don't think that judging the owners is the way forwards, certainly not in that particular dog's case. With less understanding and committed owners she would have been put to sleep years ago as a dangerous dog.

Do you not think that a very large, powerful dog that has bitten lots of times should be PTS rather than rehomed? I know that is a different argument to what the OP posted, and I can understand the owners of said dog wanting to protect it for as long as possible (I would want to do the same)....but I could not rehome such a dog not knowing whether the new owners will be sensible with it, keep it away from kids, keep it on a lead, keep it muzzled etc......Sounds a bit of a ticking time bomb, although I obviously don't have all the details. I hope it doesn't fall into the wrong hands :(

When I was pregnant my health visitor and my midwife told me to get rid of the animals or I werent allowed to bring my baby home. I had 2 tarantulas, a snake, 2 lizards and a hamster, let alone the animals of friends I looked after, dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs etc.

Aparantly these reptiles I had would cause problems to me and my baby and when the baby is born they could bite him and hurt him. 1. the reptiles are all locked away in a room each with their own lock. 2. the would never be around my baby. 3.If I wash my hand before and after everytime I had contact with the reptiles I would be fine.

So annoying be told I have to get rid of them. Thing the mid-wifes and health visitors have a role in the getting rid because I am pregnant, issues.

I too hate it and find it hard to see people getting rid of any animal because they are pregnant. many dont say because Im pregantn im finding it hard and tiring to care for my animal etc, reason is plain i am pregnant.

I am pretty sure that they would not be allowed to stop you bringing your baby home because of the pets you own. I would tell them to do one!! :rant:

Like I say it great that some people can manage under bad circumstances but the fact is not everybody can, its not always as clear cut. Your post comes across quite judgemental. I was rushed in hospital without any notice there was never enough time to arrange kennals!

I am pretty sure that they would not be allowed to stop you bringing your baby home because of the pets you own. I would tell them to do one!! :rant:

I dont know but, I kept the animals and was able to bring my baby home. If they did tell me I couldnt bring him home, I would have told them to do one.

I explained to the mid wife and health visitor that the animals wont go anywhere near the baby, they cant escape and the bedroom door is always closed.

My son is now nearly 2 and hasnt had any problems are all, Pregnancy was great, I held and attended to the animals everyday, I went to farms and rescue centers, nothing harmed me or my baby.

Past 6 months there about my son we have started to introduce the reptiles to him (spiders only through the tank). He loves them to bits.

My cousin sold her 2 rabbits because she found out she was pregnant, I took one of them. Week later she sadly werent pregnant any more. Rabbit I had is now in a wonderful home with our friend, getting very spoilt. Our friend's son and the rabbit are always together and following eachother around the house lol. The rabbit is like a dog really :)

Edited by Cerid

good possibility when i was pregnant with Simon who is now 23

my midwife told me to get rid of Major our GSD because he would be a

health risk & danger to the baby but you could clearly see she didn't like dogs

at all & Major wasn't one bit aggressive i think its because there was a spate

of GSD dog attacks on babies & children at the time

& she just saw him & he was judged straight away :(

but it is wrong of midwifes to say that unless they had a very good reason :(

Exactly. In the vast majority of cases if you love and care for your pet, you will find a way. OK, there have been some exceptional cases mentioned on here but there are still a lot of people who are either lazy or have some insane idea that their pet will harm their baby or the baby *will* be allergic to the animal so they'd better get rid of it asap. I think people have been a bit quick to jump on Tess, I know exactly what she means.

Edited by irenewilde

Like I say it great that some people can manage under bad circumstances but the fact is not everybody can, its not always as clear cut. Your post comes across quite judgemental. I was rushed in hospital without any notice there was never enough time to arrange kennals!

Summa im not at all judgemental, i can only go on my own experience, i too would be rushed in at the drop of a hat.

It was only when my waters went i had the luxury of kennels.

Everyone does what they consider to be right and for me that was keeping the hounds.

Summa im not at all judgemental, i can only go on my own experience, i too would be rushed in at the drop of a hat.

It was only when my waters went i had the luxury of kennels.

Everyone does what they consider to be right and for me that was keeping the hounds.

Fair enough, I may be getting a little defensive and may also be feeling a little guilty (still 7yrs on!) but can honestly say it was the right and fair thing to do at the time, we wasn't sure how things would pan out and wanted to get our dog a happy and consistant home.

I have a 14 month old boy and two cats-when pregnant and just after my cats were a massive source of relaxation for me and I see my son having the cats around as a good opportunity to teach him about how to approach and handle animals. He has a good relationship with both cats now and the cats are very fond of him and seem to actively seek him out. Not all of us who are/have been pregnant abandon our animals.

Laura :)