Unknown v. Big Brands

PrimalJay

Does it matter who manufactures something nowadays and is there any real notable difference in reliability and performance, I have been looking for a new 64GB USB drive and have found an extremely good bargain on ebay below as a posed to the big brand below that...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/64GB-USB-Black-Flash-Memory-Stick-Pen-Drive-UK-Seller?item=300703854608&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8095310732439698471#ht_1272wt_1270

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Drives/Integral/Integral-64GB-Courier-USB-Flash-Drive

Also, I have had massive head aches with a branded Lexar USB drive which plugs in fine but suddenly gets disconnected and stops working all by itself so am wondering if I should chance the cheaper option in the first link.

Absolutely and eBay is the WORST place you could possibly look to shop for flash memory, tons of fakes on there. It might say its 64GB but it will likely turn out to be a 4GB hacked to report its 64GB.

Even if it IS a 64GB, it could be a cheap knockoff that fails relatively quickly or has poor performance.

If there is one thing you absolutely NEED to ensure you get a named brand, and a REAL legitimate one not a fake knockoff, its flash memory.

The only exceptions are things like play.com own brand, they are fairly trustworthy IMO but still much slower than the good brands.

Does it matter who manufactures something nowadays and is there any real notable difference in reliability and performance, I have been looking for a new 64GB USB drive and have found an extremely good bargain on ebay below as a posed to the big brand below that...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/64GB-USB-Black-Flash-Memory-Stick-Pen-Drive-UK-Seller?item=300703854608&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8095310732439698471#ht_1272wt_1270

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Drives/Integral/Integral-64GB-Courier-USB-Flash-Drive

Also, I have had massive head aches with a branded Lexar USB drive which plugs in fine but suddenly gets disconnected and stops working all by itself so am wondering if I should chance the cheaper option in the first link.

Depends where you buy it from. Never ever forget that ebay is the worlds biggest carboot sale. There are bargains to be had but you have to root through a billion peoples crap to find them and everyone, but everyone is out to fleece you on there

“I hate a good many things, but I suffer them all the same.”

Stannis Baratheon

Should I go with the Integral product in the second link then as that is cheapest big brand I have found, will they be a quality product?

Its probably going to be "good enough" if you are using it for music for your car stereo. Just bear in mind its slow write speed, which means at least initially filling it will take a while. But faster cards are a LOT more expensive.

For reference ebuyer. play.com and mymemory are among my "trusted" list.

Lookout for Amazon for example as anyone can sell on there, you can only trust it if it specifically says "sold by Amazon".

Not much use if you SPECIFICALLY want 64GB rather than the hassle of swapping out two 32GB sticks.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Not much use if you SPECIFICALLY want 64GB rather than the hassle of swapping out two 32GB sticks.

I'd have never imagined that being described as hassle - how long are these car journeys that 32gb of music is not enough?

True, but when someone asks specifically for a 64GB drive then I assume its relevant to them.

Personally I only have 16GB in my phone and all my music is in FLAC, so it doesn't hold much.

But everyone is different, I can understand why some people might want as much of their collection as possible always there, so they know there is always something they are in the mood for.