Bichon frise puppies

Breezy day

Please don't buy a Bichon Frise if you have a young family, we don't go to the trouble of writing breed information on the website for it not to be correct.

Many people ignore information out there thinking they will be the exception to the rule.

There is everything on the website you need to know "the best enviroment for a Bichon", "What to look out for when buying a Bichon"?. all written from 20+ years of volunteers being hands on with this breed.

Edited by HelenaC

The OP did not say that he has small children - only that he wanted a small dog, and that he or she has children. It appears that some research has been done and they seem to be aware of the pitfalls in acquiring a puppy. It may be that the children are older and responsible enough to care for and enjoy the company of a puppy.

The link referred to above on the rescue site is quite entertaining to read but hardly authoritative and informative. To say that a breed is not recommended for homes where there are children is a pretty blank statement. I agree that by and large puppies are not suitable for homes where there are children under five years of age but this is true of any breed, not just Bichons. The link was probably not what the OP was looking for anyway because it is a puppy that they want, not a rescue dog.

Perhaps if the OP contacts the various breed clubs and also looks on the Kennel Club puppy finder website he or she might gain more support and some one to one advice. Continue to do your research, learn as much as possible by reading and talking to experienced breeder/owners, and above all, continue to be patient.

Edited by ccit

My Bichon Frise must be an exception then because she is great with small children. She's been brought up with small children since being 8 weeks old and we've never had a problem with her at all.

She loves being around children and likes nothing more than when children come over to give her a stroke and a hug. Obviously they should ask permission first, just because she's cute and fluffy doesn't mean that she's a teddy bear.

My parents bought me a chocolate labrador puppy for my 5th Birthday and he was my best friend - he also adored children and he used to lay snuggled up with me for hours. He died at the good old age of 15 last year and not once did he bark, growl or snap at anyone or anything.

I think it depends on how responsible the parents are. Any responsible parent would set rules to make sure the puppy got alone time away from children and taught the children to respect the puppy. Also teach the children to feed the puppy, play properly with the puppy and leave the puppy alone when it's sleeping.

If the OP wants advice on Bichon Frises's feel free to PM me.

Becca - your post is well balanced and I suspect that there are many other people out there with Bichons and children living happily side by side. It is all down to the work the parents do with both child and dog.

The term 'child' can refer equally to 14 as to a 4 year old and to say that Bichons should not be homed with them without qualifying this statement is strange. I am surprised that a rescue website should use a rather twee item like this as IMO what people need when considering having any particular breed is information and facts.

Edited by ccit

I do hope the OP hasn't now been put off by people claiming you shouldn't have a Bichon Frise and a ''child'' together in the same household.

They should thoroughly research the breed to know exactly what they are getting themselves into it.

Bichons are great companions and really do have a wonderful character to them. Being stubborn is one of the downside to them but they have so many better qualities.

The OP did not say that he has small children - only that he wanted a small dog, and that he or she has children.

OP does anyone know of any bichon frise pups for sale? they seemto be the best small dog with children. i have been trying to buy one now for 4 months but keep coming across scammers!

The best small dog with children, very different to if the OP had said "the best dog with small children"

Their children may well be 10, 12, 14 as stated previously, rather than 1, 2 or 4.