For all you GNU/Linux folk ..

You keep pimping zorin are you on the payroll?

To answer directly, no - I like Wolfman and madvinegar are regular unpaid volunteer moderators of the Zorin forum - there to help people make the transition that bit more easy. There's also an IRC channel too #zorinos.

This may answer your question. Overall I can't fault Zorin for ease of use and helping windows users switch to Linux.

Glad you are enjoying Zorin Fletch 66! I've made some new wallpapers recently for it - not up to Admin-Amir's standard from Israeli Re-Mix Team though!

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ZorinOS+...+Always+Ahead!?content=150531

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Zorin+-+Light+Years+Ahead!?content=150482

There is too much "we can't make it more like Windows because that is going against the whole point" in the Linux community.

One reason I have stuck with Mandriva personally is 2011 made the taskbar work like on Windows 7 which makes launching your common applications so much easier without wasting space. Sure THAT is somewhat a ripoff of how MacOS X does it, but I prefer the Windows way as it does not get covered with other apps and is small and out of the way.

So while I do not use Zorin myself, if its making Linux more friendly to Windows users then I'm all for it. Linux developers need to realise that doing it differently to Windows just "because they can" is not the best idea.

Yes its great that Linux gives you the choice, but that is more something you need to learn later once you have already made the switch.

If it wasn't for KDE mimicking so much of how Windows functions, I would never have switched myself, despite the fact I have been using Linux as a server for 15 years.

Gnome seemed to miss just enough to be cumbersome to use and everything else is even less familiar. They forget its not the look that is most important, its how it functions. I kept tripping up on Gnome not letting me drag a text file onto the taskbar and into an app. Its how I was used to working and hard thing to retrain my brain on.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Hi Alex,

Well you will be pleased to know that the Windows 7 look of Gnome Classic can do exactly that - I tried it after your posting - pulled .txt file down to panel and there it was. Opened LibreOffice Writer, dragged the .txt file from the desktop into LibreOffice and a dialog box opened and I ticked the 'inisert text' check box and there it was. Out of curiosity I tried to see if I could drag the docked .txt file into LibreOffice but it would only make reference to the Path on the desktop - just like Windows 7 - tried the same thing with dragging a text file there and it creates an Application Launcher of Notepad so basically very similar.

swarf'

There is too much "we can't make it more like Windows because that is going against the whole point" in the Linux community.

One reason I have stuck with Mandriva personally is 2011 made the taskbar work like on Windows 7 which makes launching your common applications so much easier without wasting space. Sure THAT is somewhat a ripoff of how MacOS X does it, but I prefer the Windows way as it does not get covered with other apps and is small and out of the way.

So while I do not use Zorin myself, if its making Linux more friendly to Windows users then I'm all for it. Linux developers need to realise that doing it differently to Windows just "because they can" is not the best idea.

Yes its great that Linux gives you the choice, but that is more something you need to learn later once you have already made the switch.

If it wasn't for KDE mimicking so much of how Windows functions, I would never have switched myself, despite the fact I have been using Linux as a server for 15 years.

Gnome seemed to miss just enough to be cumbersome to use and everything else is even less familiar. They forget its not the look that is most important, its how it functions. I kept tripping up on Gnome not letting me drag a text file onto the taskbar and into an app. Its how I was used to working and hard thing to retrain my brain on.

It is going against the whole point though. If you want to use Windows, then why don't you use Windows instead of a knock off? What's the point in copying, when it could be done better?