Spaying a young bitch?

Bubble3082

Hi :) When we took Poppy for her vaccinations, I asked about spaying. We're on holiday in August which is going to be the time she might have her 1st season. A family friend is going to be looking after her while we're gone, but I don't think its fair to ask him to watch her while she's in heat, with what that can entail. I asked the vet if we could have her done at 5.5 months, so she can be pretty much healed by the time we go. He said not until exactly 6 months. Does 2 weeks make that much a difference?

Dont see a problem at 5.5 months as long as she,s a good wieght.

Wait until her first season you get sumat like 8%-10% chance of cancer.

Have one done before a season that go,s down to 1/2% chance.

Between 1st and 2nd and so on season your talking a 20%-28% chance as much as not having one spayed at all.

Most vets will not spay before 6 months, there is no need for them to have a season as long as they are physically mature enough, if not they will want her to have a season to mature her further.

Your dog might not come into season at 6 months though some are a lot older...but some are younger, I would just wait and see if she is mature enough and get her done if she is.

My vet wouldn't spay my dog until she was over 6 months, I decided to reply to your query as a small number of spays don't go to plan. My dog had a bad reaction to the internal stitches and also an infection which has taken over six weeks to finally start to heal her scar after weeks of antibiotics. I certainly wouldn't have been able to leave her with anyone as the threat of further surgery has been a real possibility for the last five weeks. Didn't want to put you off as I do believe dogs should be spayed but felt the need to warn you so you could plan for the "what if" side of things.

Thank you for all your replies. I think its gonna be a case of 'wait and see' then. I know there are loads of plus and minus points to consider as to when to spay. Its just that I know how some bitches will go to any lengths to get out to mate and I really don't want puppies, especially at such an early age as it can be so dangerous for young dogs. I think when she has her final jabs on Friday I'll have a much more in-depth chat with the vet, as I want her doing sooner rather than later if its safe :)

Thinking back, I'm sure our late dog Penny was done before 6 months; although I was only 14 but she was fine. I understand it varies from dog to dog but as someone said, if the bitch is physically developed enough I can't see any reason not to, but then I'm not a vet. Ah well, I'll see what reasons he gives on Friday. Thanks again everyone :)

I have never heard of a Vet doing it on '6 months old' alone.

Its always been after first season - and i wouldnt personally trust anything less.

Our first dog we couldnt do that though, as her first season never came! But that was an extreme and rare case.. she was about 1-2 years old, and we couldn't wait forever.