Charlton's bakery in Meersbrook

At one point it was being converted into a music studio (circa 2006/7). Not sure if that's still the plan - I'd assume after this amount of time, probably not. I know it was taking a while as even the most basic things (i.e the stairs) were dangerous to walk up and needed supporting/replacing. I wish something would happen though because its such a huge space that could be put to good use.

I wish something would be done with it. Several people have expressed interest in doing good things with it, as the area has seen a great upturn in independent shops, cafes and restaurants and this is a real blight on the area. It seems the owner would rather it sat rotting in a prominent location than a/ make money from it or b/ do his civic duty and not leave an eyesore facing the street. Someone recently put a poster on the outside asking who owned it and it was quickly removed.

The latest I heard was that the owner (apparently the waster grandson of the baker who did put it to good use...) lived upstairs (!), was "doing it up" and had done lots of internal work that wasn't visible from the outside. Hogwash. The council should have the powers to take over buildings like this and put them to good use.

Edited by amazon123

I have been informed that the Grandson of the baker now lives in the back of the shop !

I have been informed that the Grandson of the baker now lives in the back of the shop !

It must be a lovely place to live as apparently there's a tree growing through it... Where did you find this information? And could you ask your source why the man in question refuses to let anyone put it to good use?

To everyone passing comments regarding Charltons Bakery. The bakery closed not through failure but due to Mr Charlton passing away. The bakery does not belong to the family ,it belongs to his wife... No grandson,or anyone else. His wife.Hope that clears it up for anyone who feels the need to know.

19 hours ago, RLTS1234 said:

To everyone passing comments regarding Charltons Bakery. The bakery closed not through failure but due to Mr Charlton passing away. The bakery does not belong to the family ,it belongs to his wife... No grandson,or anyone else. His wife.Hope that clears it up for anyone who feels the need to know.

Why shouldn't people be interested in the building and want to do something with it? Lots of people have been keen on opening a bakery there as it would do very well in the area and while the rest of that parade of shops has really come on over the years with lots of small cafes, bars,  resaurants and independent shops, that building is practically falling into the street. It looks terrible, brings down the area and needs sorting out before it becomes dangerous. Does the old owner's wife want it to completely fall apart and is she not interested in making money from a sale/rental? 

Edited by grace_favour

Wow! what’s the fascination?
Leave these people alone. It’s got nothing to do with anybody else.

I totally agree with you Grace_Favour , it would be nice to see it put to good use .... and help the area . 

It is completely up to the owners wife to decide what she wants to do with it . 

12 hours ago, RLTS1234 said:

I totally agree with you Grace_Favour , it would be nice to see it put to good use .... and help the area . 

It is completely up to the owners wife to decide what she wants to do with it . 

I'm sure if she put it up for sale/rental she would get good money for it (before it becomes unusable). It sounds like you're in contact with her - is there a reason it's been left to fall into disrepair?

Yes i do know her,give me some time i am in the process of arranging it for sale.