Charlton's bakery in Meersbrook

Hi - does anyone know if this property could be rented as a bakery again?

• Haha 1

I wish someone would, it's been empty for years now. It's a total eyesore. I'm surprised the council haven't forced the owners to do something about it before now.

Someone told me there was a tree growing inside which they'd seen through the back window. :o

Have no idea how you'd go about finding out if it's for rent, though.

BTW it would be lovely to have a bakery in the area again... Meersbrook is a great area, all thats missing is some decent shops that stay open a bit later to accommodate the working families in the area

Well coming home from work. Id rather stop locally than in town

Do some people work up that end of town now?:huh:
Just ignoring your subtext, there are all the people that work in the local businesses around about, the works on Valley Road, and as the previous poster remarks, the people returning from work who live in the area. As there are bus stops in both directions in close proximity, it ought to be a good spot for a bakery.

I'd be put off by the fact that the previous one failed, and that there's Lidl just across the road. Unless they were planning on producing home baked and speciality breads, it might prove a dead loss. It's also doubtful that any of the bakery equipment remains or would be in working order.

Thanks for your help everyone - I sort of love the idea of a tree growing inside. Might be tricky to get it past the health inspectors...

...I'd be put off by the fact that the previous one failed, and that there's Lidl just across the road. Unless they were planning on producing home baked and speciality breads, it might prove a dead loss. It's also doubtful that any of the bakery equipment remains or would be in working order.

Plus, In a Nutshell, four doors down, also sells quality bread.

They could sell the bread from the bakers if it reopened.

Very true, neee...eeek. And if the bakery sold fresh bagels, I'd be a frequent customer too.

I wish someone would, it's been empty for years now. It's a total eyesore. I'm surprised the council haven't forced the owners to do something about it before now.

It's not quite as bad as the derelict Italian a few doors up, thats truely an eyesore I'm amazed something hasnt been done with that. I imagine there is probably still legal wrangling ongoing preventing anything happening. Does anyone know?

Edited by OlDog

Hi, i have notice when i go past at night there is a light on in the two top windows of the flat so there is some one living there. I would love to know whats happening to it because 30years ago before it was called Charlton bakery my grandad owned it n called it Norton's bakery.Before my grandad sold it he spent a lot of money on it and now when he goes past it, it upsets him to see it like that when he look after it so much. If anybody finds anything out about it pls let me know.