Automatic promotion odds

Titanic99

I've just seen the following odds on SKYBET and they make no sense to me.

To finish second Wednesday 2/7 United 5/2

Wednesday to beat Wycombe 1/4

How can it be longer odds to win a game that guarantees automatic, than it is to get automatic.:huh:

I can't see any other bookmakers offering this market yet, but they do seem generous on Wednesday.

How can it be longer odds to win a game that guarantees automatic, than it is to get automatic.:huh:

I can't see any other bookmakers offering this market yet, but they do seem generous on Wednesday.

Might be a Wycombe fan setting the odds at the SKYBET site :hihi:

utd have a tougher game, exeter have won and drawn most of their home games, their away form has relegated them!!

Were as we have won eleven away games this season,the first time since 1930.Just thought i would share that with you.:D

Winning the game is not the only way that Wednesday can gain promotion; they can do so with a draw if United fail to win, and even go up while losing if United also lose. Neither of those scenarios is very likely but they mean that there's a slightly better chance of Wednesday getting promoted, than there is of their winning the game.

Consequently, yes, those odds should be reversed in order to make any sense. However, I suspect that bookmakers will take more bets on the market "team X to beat team Y" than than they will on the promotion markets. "Owls to beat Wycombe" will be a more popular bet than "Owls to go up" because of the large number of people who bet on the Long List coupon, and try to pick 10 home wins in an accumulator, that sort of thing.

If you wanted to place a single bet on Owls to win, the sensible thing to do is back them for promotion and take the bigger price.