My parents are moving to Bakewell, should they?

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice really. My family and I live in Sussex when I grew up and I have since moved up to Sheffield (9 months ago). My parents are between houses and due to my father's work, have decided to move to the Yorkshire/Derbyshire area.

My mother works with elderly people and had found a job in the bakewell area which she is about to interview.

As such, they have decided to rent in Bakewell. I have only been there once (bank holiday weekend) and I was shocked with how busy it was and how long I had to wait just to park (~45mins). As a result Im not overally positive about Bakewell and since the house they are considering is on a main road (A6) I feel it will be extremely busy road. This may also get in the way of my Mother travelling to calls for her care work.

I also concerned that property is significantly more expensive in Bakewell compared with the Sheffield/Chesterfield/Matlock.

Anyway, when I moved here I got some excellent advice on where to live and so would love to hear from lots of local people whether it is a lovely place to live or whether it is indeed too touristy.

Thanks in advance. :)

Edited by Andy13

Bakewell is lovely, that's why it's busy with traffic because of tourism. When you said property is more extensive in Bakewell I assume you meant more expensive. That's because it's a lovely place to live. If you think it's too touristy there's always Rotherham.

Bakewell is lovely, that's why it's busy with traffic because of tourism. When you said property is more extensive in Bakewell I assume you meant more expensive. That's because it's a lovely place to live. If you think it's too touristy there's always Rotherham.

Now thats just cruel.

Rotherham?? :hihi:

Bakewell is nice though and imo is worth the extra youd pay for a house there.

I dont think i could live with how busy it gets though but tourists make the money come in so its a cross youll have to bare.

It's a tourist trap but I guess you already know that! Hard to give advice without knowing exactly what they want from where they live. I would not want to live there, I would find somewhere a bit calmer. You did see it at it's busiest though, it won't usually be that bad.

Hi,

Yes, bit of a typo there...

That is my question really, I'm fairly new to the area and so don't really know how bad the tourism traffic would be. If its like what I so on bank holiday weekend every summer weekend or if thats just the odd day here and there.