Help to set up outlook 2010 with gmail

I'm struggling to find any further info on gmail in Pegasus.

Only option I can see now is live mail. Do you have IMAP functionality with your gmail account by the way? Most articles I have read seem to stipulate that IMAP is necessary for it to work successfully:

http://email.about.com/od/windowsmailtips/qt/et_get_gmail.htm

I'm struggling to find any further info on gmail in Pegasus.

Only option I can see now is live mail. Do you have IMAP functionality with your gmail account by the way? Most articles I have read seem to stipulate that IMAP is necessary for it to work successfully:

http://email.about.com/od/windowsmailtips/qt/et_get_gmail.htm

Hi Swarfendor You're amazing thanks so much for all your help. :thumbsup:

They dont harf make eating a pig's dinner seem a load easier than setting up an email client :(

Hi andco, glad to help where I can - I even try where I can't - perhaps I should avoid the latter!:hihi:

So, are you sorted then? Is it Outlook 2010, Pegasus Mail, or Windows Live Mail that won out?

So I guess it is working now?

Hi andco, glad to help where I can - I even try where I can't - perhaps I should avoid the latter!:hihi:

So, are you sorted then? Is it Outlook 2010, Pegasus Mail, or Windows Live Mail that won out?

So I guess it is working now?

How very odd; thought I'd posted a reply last night but clearly we all know what thought went and did :D

Fraid not. Given up ghost on this one; taking it to the Uni and hopefully they'll be able to sort it out for us. Which one to go for; well Pays your money and takes your choice really. Horses for courses and all that. I agree with your concerns regarding the close tie-in with Google so that's the boot to Mozilla. Uni has expressed concerns re Outlook due to frequency of patched updates but as they now recommend M$ anti-virus software maybe their views on the email client has also changed. Right now I'll be happy to have it working.

How very odd; thought I'd posted a reply last night but clearly we all know what thought went and did :D

Fraid not. Given up ghost on this one; taking it to the Uni and hopefully they'll be able to sort it out for us. Which one to go for; well Pays your money and takes your choice really. Horses for courses and all that. I agree with your concerns regarding the close tie-in with Google so that's the boot to Mozilla. Uni has expressed concerns re Outlook due to frequency of patched updates but as they now recommend M$ anti-virus software maybe their views on the email client has also changed. Right now I'll be happy to have it working.

Hi andco, thanks for the update. Just a couple of comments - a parent of one of my children's friends works in a school that has a managed service and originally before their involvement the school had set up Hotmail accounts for GCSE A-level work - this had to be changed to gmail - and after half a term the service was still not running!

The other comment is that, until a few months ago, I was not aware of a group campaigning for e-mail standards/watchdog - it was disbanded then reformed because M$ still don't meet the specified criteria for e-mail client editing!

An email standards watchdog with teeth would be a great help.

Nothing but persistent here :D Now set up on netbook to set it up on my desktop and received this error message:

"Send test e-mail message: Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties. The server responded: 530 5.5.1 http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=14257 z3sm137911wix.0"

Forgot to sort something out which I've now done and sent the test mail which Outlook transmitted - not received at my email account yet;

BUT, when i clicked on next to finish the wizard, the message: "The requested operation failed" :(

I went back to check the settings and found that they've reverted to the original settings which are wrong; for some reason, my desktop cancels incoming and outgoing server settings I've entered and reverts to a different configuration. :help:

Edited by andco

Thanks for thinking of me.

Done everything suggested by you, Uni and help links. No joy as it still has this error message - after I've clicked next so I guess that's some improvement. Right pain in proverbial!

Will call Uni tomorrow and ask whether they could have an online bash at sorting it, otherwise it has to wait until June when I'll take this device in to them.

Will post back when it's sorted