Polish Community in sheffield

11 o clock mass at St Maries RC church in the city centre On Sundays is in Polish for the Polish community I'm sure the priest would help with the polish history or know some one who does.

the road I spent my earlier childhood in Sheffield up to age 11, there were several Polish families, all part of the post 1940 influx, I can remember their Polish surnames, if you would like to PM me about it, I may disclose them. Thirty years later, they've just integrated. None of them were Jewish on that particular late 1970s street at least, they were all Catholics, which is of course the Polish norm.

Edited by callippo

I have no need to provide a link, it is not an 'interesting story' it is fact....

Errrr.. you claimed that, during WWII, the Poles' objective was keeping the Russians out and fighting for the Germans seemed a good option, and that there were Poles who then voluntarily provided support for the Nazis.

That flies in the face of just about any historical account I've read. So surely it's not too much to ask for a link that justifies your assertions.

Hello

As we all know one of the largest communities in Sheffield is Polish community, but does any one know when first polish settlers arrived to Sheffield. I need any information about this community.

I didn't know that. Is it true?

Errrr.. you claimed that, during WWII, the Poles' objective was keeping the Russians out and fighting for the Germans seemed a good option, and that there were Poles who then voluntarily provided support for the Nazis.

That flies in the face of just about any historical account I've read. So surely it's not too much to ask for a link that justifies your assertions.

My account of this is based on actual conversations with Poles AND Germans. As you will gather I am half German, born in Germany during the occupation in the late 40's. The Poles feared and hated the Russians more than anyone else. Hitlers SS were pussycats compared to Stalins forces so 'tactical switching' occurred. A lot of them were employed in the South Yorkshire coal mines in the 1950's, along with loads of Hungarians who were also fleeing the Soviets after 'the uprising' [google it]. All my knowledge of this history is not based on one instance, but of a lifetimes involvement with Germans and Poles. No Pole is going to admit to being proud of fighting on the side of the Germans, but needs must...

Neither will Poles admit to aiding the Germans to operate their death camps, but then again it was a case of kill or be killed.

We are not discussing Primary School history here, we are looking at reallity. As I say, dig around, try to find some old Poles, they will tell you.I even spoke to a British Merchant seaman who was involved in shipping Polish/German prisoners home in 1945. The ones who had fought on the side of the Germans were shot on the dockside as the British ship was setting sail to leave. Life behind the Iron Curtain was not a nice place................