Polish Community in sheffield

Hello

As we all know one of the largest communities in Sheffield is Polish community, but does any one know when first polish settlers arrived to Sheffield. I need any information about this community.

I know some Poles were here in 1964.

Hello

As we all know one of the largest communities in Sheffield is Polish community, but does any one know when first polish settlers arrived to Sheffield. I need any information about this community.

i know one called polish matt and hes been here since 2nd world war:hihi:

I went to school with a girl called Iren Keloggy(think that is how you spell it) her mother was a midwife. Her parents came to sheffield after the war they had been badly treated in a German prisoner of war camp before coming to Brittan. . Her mother had bad scares were they had operated on her.

As a girl they took me to all the polish outings one I really liked was dancing to a brass band at Eccelsall Road Polish Club, very happy days

Poles were 'stranded' in the UK after WW2, some did not want to return home to the Russian side of the IRON CURTAIN. Others had switched sides during the war, its complicated, the Poles objective was keeping the Russians out and fighting for the Germans seemed a good option. If you are interested, do a bit of research, its an interesting story.

I think a lot came over when Germany and Russia both invaded Poland at the start of WW2 and stayed on.

I would think there would have been some Polish Jews which arrived here during the troubles in the 19th Century. Maybe someone could enlighten us from the Sheffield Jewish community.

PopT

There is a Polish Club in Hunters Bar - if its still open. You'd get info from there.

I think a lot came over when Germany and Russia both invaded Poland at the start of WW2 and stayed on.

If the ones who had fought for the Germans had returned to Poland after the war the Russian occupation force would have executed them [as they did a lot more] The post war Russians were NOT nice people.

6 million Jews died in the death camps, I think 30 million Russians were killed by the Germans so they were not tolerant of anyone who had helped the Germans.

Poles were 'stranded' in the UK after WW2, some did not want to return home to the Russian side of the IRON CURTAIN. Others had switched sides during the war, its complicated, the Poles objective was keeping the Russians out and fighting for the Germans seemed a good option. If you are interested, do a bit of research, its an interesting story.

Would you care to provide a link to this interesting story ?

For reliable figures of the war dead, see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties#Total_deaths

I would think there would have been some Polish Jews which arrived here during the troubles in the 19th Century...
I imagine the pogroms around the turn of the last century would have led to most of Sheffield's Polish-born Jews leaving their homeland, but some were earlier and the jeweller H.L. Brown might have been among the first, having arrived in Sheffield in the mid-1860s. He appears in the 1871 census in Gower Street with his Sheffield-born wife Ann, née Kirby, and 4 year-old daughter Rebecca. See here for brief biographical details.

As for the Workd War II refugees from Poland, my uncle arrived in Sheffield in March 1947, from a transit camp in Rimini, Italy. An ethnic Pole who lived in the Western Ukraine he had been forced to join the Red Army after the 1941 invasion. He deserted and went back to his hometown .... just in time to be forced to join the German Army. His parents died in Siberia so he had nothing to go back to - though two of his friends went back. They both served eight years in prison for joining the German Army (even though they'd had no choice). He worked for Rustons in Lincoln for 36 years and is still going strong at 91.

Would you care to provide a link to this interesting story ?

For reliable figures of the war dead, see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties#Total_deaths

I have no need to provide a link, it is not an 'interesting story' it is fact.... start researching it, it'll take you years. Remember the name 'Stalingrad' ?? I actually lost an uncle in that seige. He was in the Wermacht. We still dont know if the Russian snipers killed him or the SS executed him for electing to surrender against Hitlers orders. Conflicting reports were being bandied around. Von Paulos wanted to surrender to save further losses..

I have glanced at your link to Wikipedia, the figures for all the Soviet states appear to well exceed 30 million [thats Russia plus all its satellite states] which were involved in the conflict.

Edited by Tradescanthia